Beginner set of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to pickup a basic, beginner's set of gear. This would be inclusive of full wetsuit (hood, boots, gloves), bc, regs (octo), and console (no computer). My LDS is quoting somewhere in the $800-$1000 range. Does that sound about right to you?

I don't know the models or makes, but was just curious as to the ballpark.

On a related note, I tried putting together a list of gear I could get piece meal, but I'm having a hard time distinguishing cheap but sturdy from cheap and scary.

Thanks in advance for any help!

That sounds about right to me, I spent around 1100 for everything (including a computer). I would do the package deal, you are more likley to get a discounted price. Here is what I got:
Cressi S116 BCD
Aqualung Titan LX Supreme Reg
Calypso/Titan Octo(I dont know if aqualung is still doing the free octo or not right now but I got mine free)
Gekko 2-guage Console
Free Flow Control Device
Deepsee Farmer John 7mill wetsuit, gloves and hood.

Well... I have my wetsuit, hood, boots, gloves, mask, and snorkel. And this weekend a dive shop near me is having a 40% off ALL Aqualung. And I added up the gear I'll be getting and its going to cost me around $900-950 (BCD $430, reg $250 , computer $260). So I'm not too sure about getting everything for $800-1000, is there a major sale? Or used gear? Before you buy, do some research on the brands :)
Good luck, have fun!

Alphonsis,
You would have to be more specific about what is included in the package. If it is mid level gear, it is probably a good buy. If it is all low end gear, maybe not. If you are comfortable with your shop and they treat you well price wise, then why not? You can either check prices online, or list your stuff here.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Is this an LDS 'beginner' package that they put together? I'd be interested to know the gear as well. Your LDS may allow you to choose each piece and apply a 'package' discount. There are quite a few first time buyer gear threads here.

They actually don't have any packages per se, you try on the gear, see what fits you and and such and they apply a small discount. They gave my roomie pretty good prices on her snorkeling gear, beating joe's in price. I guess my apprehension comes from the way they handle it. They don't talk have prices on the gear, they just have you try stuff on, see how it feels and fits, and then give you a price at the end.

Does anyone know of a website that has alot of user reviews on it for scuba gear? When I purchased my guitar and amp, there was a site called Musiciansfriend that had tons of reviews, which helped me greatly in deciding what to get.

Also, how trustable are the reviews by scuba lab? It seems to be the only site I can find that does large scale equipment comparissions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom