Attaching 2nd Stage to a new hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taliesin58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I attach the hose to the 1st stage, I am very careful not to overtighten. Do I need to tighten the second stage-hose connection more? I removed my second stage today and noticed there was some water on the threading...

Just snug should be fine.

Since water gets into the 2nd stage, my guess is that it got onto your threads as you unscrewed it, which is no proble,.

Water in those threads is normal. Like many threaded connections in regulators, they are not designed to be protected by the oring so water will work its way into them. No harm will be done as long as you do a ggod job of soaking your regs after SW dives. But that is one reason why a good soaking is required and a rinsing is just not sufficient.

When you tighten the hose/2nd stage be sure to use 2 wrenches and do not over tighten the nut. Most 2nd stages being plastic these days it is very easy to crack the 2nd stage body by over tightening of the hose or the jam nut used to secure the orifice assembly.

You only need the hose to be tight enough that you cannot unscrew it by hand, unless a specific torque is specified by the manufacturer.

Other than that, don't worry about a few drops of water on the threads. Now if you were to remove the 2nd stage and water RAN out of the hose, that is a concern as that is an open tube into your first stage and a spot internally that you do not want water.

Thanks. I guess I am just a bit over protective of high dollar equipment.
I tighten everything as tight as I can with my hands, then just it the tiniest nudge with a wrench so that I can't unscrew it with my hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom