Leaking from both high pressure and power inflator hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cal776

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On a dive trip last week, both my high pressure hose (flex hose connected to a naked SPG) and my low pressure power inflator hose (flex hose with a quick disconnect) were leaking significantly. All of the hoses are less than four years old, as is my Atomic Z2 regulator, and I take care when I travel with them (always as carry-on luggage). The leaking from the high pressure hose was near where it connects to the first stage, it could be heard when my regulator was pressurized pre-dive, and it persisted even after the tightness of the connection was checked/adjusted; the power inflator leaking was at or near the quick disconnect fitting. Neither my second stage regulator nor octo hoses were leaking. My regulator was serviced last year and I did not notice any leaking on intervening dive trips.

Do you think it is a coincidence that both of these hoses failed simultaneously, or should I suspect a potential problem with my first stage that caused the two hoses to leak? I don’t mind replacing both hoses, if need be, but I want to make sure the problem is troubleshooted correctly and solved before my next dive trip next month.

You’re going to have to take a picture with an arrow to show exactly where they were leaving from. Depending on where you purchase these hoses, that’s about the average lifespan with both things you describe being a normal failure mode.

Based upon your description, it is unlikely that the first stage is the problem. Pressurize the rig, submerge it in water so that you can see EXACTLY where the leaks are. Then you (or someone more knowledgeable) can decide on a solution.

Is it the connection or the hose that’s leaking? If the connection, it’s not just “tightness,” there’s a static o-ring in there. Take the hose off, change the o-ring, and reconnect. If the hose itself is leaking, replace the hose.
As @grantcobin stated, pictures would help.

Here’s a picture that shows the leaking from the power inflator hose:

1689074921407.jpeg

I removed the high pressure hose before this dive, so no picture to show the leak from it.

View attachment 792006

I removed the high pressure hose before this dive, so no picture to show the leak from it.
Unfortunately not sufficiently acute to diagnose, but I would guess that’s the Schrader valve stem needing to be cleaned or replaced. Shops should carry them and be in the $2-$5 range. Hose failure would more often be articulated on the crimp or (more often in HP hoses) on the hose itself. All that said, I’ve found the flexible HP hoses to be universally ****.

That looks a lot like the valve stem in the inflator hose to me. If the bubbles looked similar and were coming from the SPG-end of the HP hose, I'd guess that's the HP swivel. Both of those are problems with tiny o-rings that often just need cleaning or lubing, and are failures that I see quite a lot. Both of those happening at the same time seems more likely to me than (rarer) dual hose failures. Still possible though.

All of the hoses are less than four years old,

In my books hoses should last longer than 4 years, unless your diving every day, and they get alot of sun, or something,
But there is trash out there,

View attachment 792006

Hard to tell in the picture, but I suspect the quick connect oring,

Quick test,
- uncouple it off the power inflator, -- does it stop leaking?
- If yes,
- Then change oring, carefully. (See picture )

Normally the nipple on the inflator doesn't need changing, unless there is sharp or flat spots on the tip, cutting the oring, when you connect,,
20230711_185546.jpg

With the high pressure hose,
Slide back the strain relief,
See if its leaking from the crimp,
if at the crimp, normally its scrap
If it's at the regulator body,
Remove hose, change oring on hose end,
Reassemble

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom