HP Port leak on new Aqualung Leg3nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Shawn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all!

I recently got a new Aqualung Leg3nd regulator from Scuba.com (I know, probably should have bought locally) and have been struggling to get the my hp spg hose to not leak at the fitting on the first stage.

The first hose I received (from DGX) leaked, it felt like it was coming thru the ferrule at the fitting to the first stage. I took the hose off and put it back on several times with no luck, still leaking. I then tried putting the hp port plug back in the first stage to isolate the hose as the source of the leak, and that stopped the leak so I figured it was the ferrule on the hp hose that was the issue.

I picked up a different hp hose locally, put that on the first stage and that one also leaked upon my first install, this time it felt more like it was coming from the threads than the ferrule, however the ferrule on the second hose (miflex) was smaller than on the original so the larger ferrule on the dgx hose may have just been redirecting a leak at the threads. Again, I uninstalled, then reinstalled the hose a couple times and after 2 or 3 times, upon pressurizing the reg it started to leak then as the pressure increased it was like something closed in the regulator and it held pressure with no leak. I thought that maybe something just had to seat itself as the reg was new, and went to bed happy. Woke up yesterday (dive day) and checked it again as I was packing up and sure enough it was leaking at the threads again! Again I took the hose off, back on, confirmed no leak with port plug in place of hose, etc. Finally I tried switching the o-ring from the port plug onto the hose, and got it to stop leaking that way, and had a successful dive.

I have not reached out to scuba.com or aqualung yet, but I will. I’m just looking for some ideas as two separate new hoses leaked, and one was magically leaking after I got it to stop just 8 or 9 hours earlier the night before. Is it possible that something is out of spec in the port? I was very careful to not overtighten the hoses, but I don’t think I under-tightened either based on how loose the port plugs felt when I pulled them out to install the hoses.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Perhaps an email to scuba.com or aqualung instead

302 zzzzmichelangelo-adam-creation-adam-fresco-6509125.jpg

Reactions: Cio
Ports seal with an o-ring wedged against two surfaces:
a) the inner rim of the port above the threads, and
b) the under surface of the port plug top or the outer surface of the hose connection just below the enlargement that traps the o-ring.

There is no sealing function in the threads.

Therefore, since your reg leaked with both a DGX hose and another hose, while a port plug sealed, your leak is either because the first stage HP port land has a scratch, or the orings you used are too soft or too thin.
How about the other HP Port? Do the hoses leak there as well? Switching ports will help rule out a scratched land, unless the reg is used and both ports are damaged.

put the port plug back in and test if it still leaks. If it doesn't leak with the port plug in it, the hoses are (most likely) the problem.
while they are made to standards, if one item (first stage) is at one end of the standard and the other (hose) is at other, sometimes it just is going to be an issue. I have seen shoulders of first stages in standard not work with some HP hoses as well.

Should be pretty simple to find cause by process of elimination following two posts above.

Do post back, am curious.

Good luck.

Thanks for the comments!

As noted in my post (I guess not very clearly), I tried the port plug to isolate the hose as the issue, and the plug does not leak. I have not tried the hoses in the other HP port but I'll give that a whirl as well.

When I say the leak seems to be coming from the threads I'm just describing that the leak is coming from that connection, not the hose itself or elsewhere; it is understood that the o-ring creates the seal, not the threads.

I was hoping to hear that its common to have to play around a bit to get the HP connection to seal, but it sounds like that's not the case. Hopefully this doesn't become a recurring issue. It's sealed now but in the back of my mind I'm concerned that next time I gear up it will leak again.

I reached out to scuba.com yesterday and am awaiting a response from them.

its not unusual to need a spool:

but maybe im misunderstanding since no one mentioned that yet
Yeah the leak is at the connection to the first stage, all is good on the spg end

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom