Hoses Keep Breaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe like…three-four months? Still wayyy too short.

First time it happened I bought new hoses at my LDS, and since then they’ve just been replacing them. FWIW, the hoses “look” new, but I’m not sure when they were made.
Something is definitely wrong. Hoses are tough and last years not months.

A regulator failure causing damaged hoses is all but impossible. The high pressure hose for your console should not be damaged by those tiny pressures it sees. It is rated to at least four times as much and a tensile strength of at least 1000N.
Your LP hose has an axial tensile strength of at least 250N at the connectors, a minimum burst pressure of 100bar and a minimum leakage pressure of either 30bar or twice the pressure of the safety valve (Most of the time that is the downstream second stage), whichever is higher.

The LP hose can in theory be damaged quite easily by the pressures involved, but the design of regulators mostly negate this. This could be an issue if you have a upstream second stage, e.g. certain Poseidons. Your dive shop should be wise enough to identify this very quickly and seeing as you use Atomic, this is a non issue.

While hoses do break, it is a rather rare occurrence. Oftentimes, although not always, hoses which are old or abused are the ones breaking.

I do remember a batch of high pressure hoses I bought from a factory which all were faulty. Their crimping process was too harsh and that broke a tiny stem inside the hose end. Another time a manufacturer used a bad batch of base material which made the hoses a lot less strong, making them rupture prematurely. How this was not caught in QC is beyond me - Both times I got 100s of hoses replaced from them.

I do want to dispel one myth, which was:
I’m using up air much more quickly than I normally do

The amount of air you lose through a leaking HP hose is usually very very little. A completely broken HP hose is not allowed to leak more than 100 litres per minute for example. A hose which bubbles a little will cost you a few bar at most.

To me it sounds like you got a bad batch of hoses, nothing else.

HP hoses have perforations in the outside cover to prevent the outside cover from blowing out with a leak in the pressure part. When the hose is dry there is a small amount of air between the cover and the hose so as soon as the hose is pressurized small bubbles appear along the surface of the hose. It is quite normal as long as the bubbles dissipate and don't continue.
^^^ What he said ^^^ The outer hose casing is there to protect the inner hose more than anything.

Noted a few of those little champagne bubbles happen to me on a boat in Bonaire early on in my dive career (probably around the 20-25 dive mark). I started freaking out when I first saw them and scratched the dive, but got in the water on the next dive and had another diver check it out reporting no bubbles. Checked a few times on that dive with no problem. Later figured it just the inner hose expanding when first pressurized squeezing out the little tiny, minuscule air that resulted when the hose was last depressurized and the inner hose contracted a tiny bit more than the outer one... If you check along the length you will see the tiny tiny perforations.

I was curious so I just checked my regulator bags. All of my newest most-recently-upgraded miflex high pressure hoses (thinner carbon black color) all have "MFX 2022" stamped on the fitting on the side of 1st stage side of the hose. Is that year of manufacturer perhaps?

If your Miflex hoses are stamped with manufacturer info and dates, they are junk counterfeits. True Miflex hoses are laser etched with manufacturer information. This was done to avoid confusion with all the made in china counterfeits being sold online. DAN has an article co authored by me on this issue.

One of the major brands just had a manufacturing issue with their HP hoses recently. I can't remember which one it was at the moment. I would have your LDS check with the manufacturer to make sure they aren't seeing this issue on lots of hoses. I had one go after 3 months and the LDS I got it from said they had 5 or 6 from the same batch that did the same thing. I was a little angry that they didn't make any effort to let anyone know that the hoses had been having issues, but at least the one they replaced it with has made it 4 months with no issues so far.

HP hoses have perforations in the outside cover to prevent the outside cover from blowing out with a leak in the pressure part. When the hose is dry there is a small amount of air between the cover and the hose so as soon as the hose is pressurized small bubbles appear along the surface of the hose. It is quite normal as long as the bubbles dissipate and don't continue.
This true for Miflex hoses only right? I can’t imagine any on my rubber hose…

I only know for rubber hoses I would have thought with braided the actual braid would release any trapped air. I tried braided hoses and hated them especially for the long hose.

Naw. Especially true for rubber hoses. Braided hoses no need holes. Their casing is porus as is.

Back
Top Bottom