Rubber hose coil memory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Royan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,
I recently bought a 7' long rubber hose to switch to a "primary donate" configuration, and it came packed in a tight coil loop, the diameter of a fist. Underwater I route the hose under my right arm, then to my left shoulder and neck, ending in a 90 degree swivel by the right side of my mouth. The hose works well, but it wants to go back to its coil "memory" all the time, forming "ring" loops if I don't secure/tuck it tight to something. It's very annoying, so I wonder If there is a safe method to correct this memory... I was thinking of hot water in the shower, but I don't know if heat is bad for the hose and/or fittings.
I'm new to this configuration so every advice would be very welcome, thanks!

How are you dealing with the excess hose length? If you're using a 7' hose, ideally it should either be routed under a canister light or tucked into the waistband. The picture below gives you an idea of what I mean. The gray "cylinder" on the diver's right side would be a light canister (or as I said you can also get away with tucking the hose into your waistband but it has a tendency to slip out in my experience). This will help keep the hose tucked away nicely and also won't allow it to coil (if I'm understanding your point correctly). If you're not tucking it away like this, you're going to have a lot of hose floating around in the water unnecessarily.

1697811705421.png

How are you dealing with the excess hose length? If you're using a 7' hose, ideally it should either be routed under a canister light or tucked into the waistband
currently I don't carry any accesory in the right side of the waist harness webbing. Last dive I had to tuck the excess (not that much as I wear drysuit and thick undergarment) under the waistband, but it got loose when I deflate the drysuit and/or compress while descending etc
During the dive I tried to re-route it but with gloves I got confused about what hose I was touching, the drysuit inflator hose was in the same place, and the new secondary reg position, just behind my neck, was also interfering (I think the primary hose ended up all around my neck). It started to stress me a bit so I stopped adjusting it and just enyojed the dive.
Next dive I will try to tuck the excess in a more secure way as you suggest. Thank you

Route your drysuit hose under your left arm to avoid confusion with the long hose. Also, Halcyon makes a mock canister stick that you can put on your right side to route the hose under. Something to consider. They are also cheap.

1697815275935.png

Route your drysuit hose under your left arm to avoid confusion with the long hose
yes it's routed that way, my confusion was when searching for the long hose in my chest, I keep touching the drysuit inflator hose and valve. This is my current configuration, the weight pockets are so small that it doesn't count as an option to secure the hose (actually I want to remove them, with steel tank I don't need any). I do carry a small knife in one of the drysuit leg pockets. Maybe I can put it on a sheath and thread through the waistband for that purpose?

wi.jpeg

yes it's routed that way, my confusion was when searching for the long hose in my chest, I keep touching the drysuit inflator hose and valve. This is my current configuration, the weight pockets are so small that it doesn't count as an option to secure the hose (actually I want to remove them, with steel tank I don't need any). I do carry a small knife in one of the drysuit leg pockets. Maybe I can put it on a sheath and thread through the waistband for that purpose?

View attachment 806660
Hi,
It appears your hoses are too long causing big loops so they are all over the place. Also, I would recommend losing those right angle fittings.

A few comments (just my 2 psi - feel free to ignore):
  • I would remove the angle adaptor on your backup regulator (not really needed plus it makes it sit weird at that angle) and get a shorter hose to cut down on excess/drag. Usually something in the 22"-24" range works best (just make sure you can move your head side to side). I had this problem when I first set up my configuration
  • When you're routing your drysuit hose, route it under your left side harness to keep it close to your body (especially if the hose is on the long side to reduce drag)
  • I would be hesitant to use the knife as a way to secure the long hose. The knife is usually on the waist belt on your left side between your left d-ring and crotch strap. I would either continue to tuck into your waist band or get something like the Halcyon canister stick to route under (you could also probably make your own with a wooden dowel)

I would be hesitant to use the knife as a way to secure the long hose. The knife is usually on the waist belt on your left side between your left d-ring and crotch strap. I would either continue to tuck into your waist band or get something like the Halcyon canister stick to route under (you could also probably make your own with a wooden dowel)
It is not uncommon to use a knife sheath on the belt to tuck the hose under, but I agree it's not optimal because ideally the diver should be able to reach their knife with their right hand as well as their left.

Some divers carry medic shears instead of, or in addition to, a knife.

I would remove the angle adaptor on your backup regulator (not really needed plus it makes it sit weird at that angle) and get a shorter hose to cut down on excess/drag. Usually something in the 22"-24" range works best
would definitely do those two changes
route it under your left side harness
good idea, that way it can't interfere with the long hose routing

Another option to retain the long hose could be one of this
Mares-Hose-Retainer.jpg

but maybe it will move around all the time

Agree with posters above that some hoses appear too long. I would recommend a shorter necklace hose, shorter power inflator hose, and shorter drysuit hose.

From the photo, I don't think that the angle adapter on the primary is doing you any good. If you lose the angle adapter, the hose around your neck will have some more slack in it. This will facilitate moving your head around (specifically, looking to the left does not look easy with your current setup).

I also notice that the longhose is coming out of the side of your 1st stage reg. It would be better if the initial angle was more downward, toward your right hip. If your 1st stage reg has a port on the end (a "5th port"), that might be better. Or, you might be able to mount the 1st stage to the tank valve at an angle, say, 45 degrees counter-clockwise from its current orientation. That will point the long hose toward your right hip.

When you tuck the hose into the waistband, it's important to make as wide of a tuck as you can. Think a wide U shape or a even a \____/ shape, rather than a pointy V shape. You can bend the hose, stuff it under the waistband, and then sweep your hand to the right to flatten out the bend backward. Ideally, most of the bend is in contact with, or at least close to, your waistband -- maximizing contact between them creates friction, which keeps the long hose in place while tucked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom