Issue with securing 7ft long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

So my problem is that I don't have a canister light and securing my 7ft long hose has become problematic. I often tuck it into the waist harness webbing but then I either have to pull it taught every two minutes or it slips out during the dive and then the long hose sits under my armpit and the rest of the buoyant hose moves over my head. Not great.

I bought the Apeks long hose retainer, thinking this would fix the issue by simulating a canister light but it appears to be too short/slim to be effective and either the hose slips around the very right side of my body (while being very loosely retained), or the hose pops loose and then slips under my armpit like described above.

For those without a canister light, what are you doing with your long hose?

Thanks for your advice.

Seems like a better worded google search would have shown me a result for this same question already:

The issue with the Apeks retainer still stands though. Avoid buying that piece of kit.

I use a small knife on right hip, probably shorter than your retainer stick. I pull the hose tight into the "V" between the knife and hip, and it gets trapped pretty well.

Sometimes I'll tuck in the waist band, pulling the bend around to my hip area. If I leave it near the front, it'll come loose some of the time.

I also tighten my waist belt again after reaching the bottom.

Hey all,

So my problem is that I don't have a canister light and securing my 7ft long hose has become problematic. I often tuck it into the waist harness webbing but then I either have to pull it taught every two minutes or it slips out during the dive and then the long hose sits under my armpit and the rest of the buoyant hose moves over my head. Not great.

I bought the Apeks long hose retainer, thinking this would fix the issue by simulating a canister light but it appears to be too short/slim to be effective and either the hose slips around the very right side of my body (while being very loosely retained), or the hose pops loose and then slips under my armpit like described above.

For those without a canister light, what are you doing with your long hose?

Thanks for your advice.
I'm sure you have tried it and that there's some explanation, but I don't understand why the long hose would get pulled out if you tuck and pull it down the waist belt of the harness. Is your waist belt very loose? These days I dive with a canister, but when I started without one, tucking the hose would usually do the trick...

I'm sure you have tried it and that there's some explanation, but I don't understand why the long hose would get pulled out if you tuck and pull it down the waist belt of the harness. Is your waist belt very loose? These days I dive with a canister, but when I started without one, tucking the hose would usually do the trick...

I don't understand it either. The waist belt isn't particularly loose. Like if I push out my midriff breathing in, it's uncomfortably tight. I also saw that the Halcyon hose retainer is a good 3cm longer than the Apeks one. Maybe that will be a low effort fix...

In the other thread people were saying the key is to pull the looped hose back towards the backplate. I'll try that next week.

I agree, tightening your waist belt can help. With that said, it'll still slip out occasionally. It's easy to get in the habit of just reaching down to see if the hose needs a re-tuck. If it remains a problem, you could consider an 8' hose instead of 7'. My single-tank reg has an 8' hose (because that's all the shop had). The additional loop length pretty much ensures it never comes untucked.

In the other thread people were saying the key is to pull the looped hose back towards the backplate. I'll try that next week.
Yeah, I would definitely pull it towards the side, so it's on my hip bone, like inquis suggested.

From the information I found, the Apeks stick is 6 inches (150 mm) long. If you like the "stick" solution, make one yourself from plastic pipe, any length you wish. Halcyon also makes a stick like this, but I cannot find specifications listing the length.

If a 6-in. stick is not working for you, maybe the problem is not the stick but something else?

From the information I found, the Apeks stick is 6 inches (150 mm) long. If you like the "stick" solution, make one yourself from plastic pipe, any length you wish. Halcyon also makes a stick like this, but I cannot find specifications listing the length.

If a 6-in. stick is not working for you, maybe the problem is not the stick but something else?

I live in Switzerland. Buying a piece of plastic pipe is going to cost me more than just buying the Halcyon retainer. :( (quick connect fittings for a pee valve run me around 10 USD each)

Also bear in mind the total length of the Apeks retainer is 6 inches, minus around 2.2 for the bits that hold onto the belt. When I first got it, I was actually surprised by how small it is, considering the photos online.

But yes, I could be the dummy here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom