DIR- GUE Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the literal wording of the standard, that looks correct. I wonder what the instructor corps would have to say about it in reality? I know that hose swivels/fittings are disfavored because they are unnecessary potential failure points. But are they totally unacceptable, even for a diver with a disability?
Have you seen the recent standards for DIR sidemount configuration?

"unnecesary failure points" are one of the most overblown things when it comes to SCUBA.

-Z

Have you seen the recent standards for DIR sidemount configuration?

"unnecesary failure points" are one of the most overblown things when it comes to SCUBA.

-Z
Nope, I don't pay attention to sidemount stuff. I agree about the failure points issue. My single-tank OW reg set has a 5-ft hose with an elbow fitting.

The only thing this thread proves is the DIR forum needs to go back to being closed. A bunch of rando non-dir people commenting about insensitivities, gaslighting, yada yada yada, only clogging up the thread beause they saw the topic in the what's new part of scubaboard. Close the forum to be opt in, help stop this type of bs.
I just want to chime in to say, the mod team has considered this option. We might go back to closing the DIR forum some day, but that has downsides too. The current thinking is that we will try our best to enforce the rule against non-DIR answers to DIR questions, which I think should help in cases like this one.

But, most of the mod team is not trained by DIR agencies. And, the ones who are, would often like to participate in the threads. ScubaBoard has a strong convention of the mod team not moderating threads they are in -- obviously, the chance for a conflict of interest is much higher there, so we try to avoid it. This leaves us in a predicament where the mods who best informed about what a DIR answer is, are the ones who are opting out of mod duties within the DIR forum.

I would encourage you to hit the report button if you see posts that violate the rules. This is the best way to let mods such as myself who aren't trained in DIR, to keep the DIR forum free of the noise of incorrect answers. I posted an updated DIR forum rules thread a few weeks ago, you might have a look. If you have feedback on that rules thread, send me a DM and we can discuss it.

I just want to chime in to say, the mod team has considered this option. We might go back to closing the DIR forum some day, but that has downsides too. The current thinking is that we will try our best to enforce the rule against non-DIR answers to DIR questions, which I think should help in cases like this one.

But, most of the mod team is not trained by DIR agencies. And, the ones who are, would often like to participate in the threads. ScubaBoard has a strong convention of the mod team not moderating threads they are in -- obviously, the chance for a conflict of interest is much higher there, so we try to avoid it. This leaves us in a predicament where the mods who best informed about what a DIR answer is, are the ones who are opting out of mod duties within the DIR forum.

I would encourage you to hit the report button if you see posts that violate the rules. This is the best way to let mods such as myself who aren't trained in DIR, to keep the DIR forum free of the noise of incorrect answers. I posted an updated DIR forum rules thread a few weeks ago, you might have a look. If you have feedback on that rules thread, send me a DM and we can discuss it.

I second closing the DIR forum and allowing members to opt in. There is too much false information being given at present.

I'm not sure where you got that misunderstanding but a long hose primary is in no way troublesome when switching gasses. Rather the opposite.
If you might have to share back gas with a buddy from the bottom up to the first gas switch then a long hose is essential. Otherwise you'll be forced too close together and the ascent will turn into a CF.
Yeah, on a typical open water rig you have to be vertical and holding each other’s BC to make a gas share work. Which is fine for >95% of the dives that people diving that kind of rig do. Not fine for anything in overhead or deco.

The OP left this thread weeks ago because a bunch of you decided to vent your personal agency animosities and egos here instead of actually trying to help someone. Seriously if you can't be kind at least STFU

Thanks. Another mod let me know it's just not in the cards right now due to complexities. I do hope it changes so that we can have a forum that's helpful to dir divers or wannabes. You don't see alot of people with no experience chiming in on the open sidemount forum and giving advice. But for some reason here those with no dir knowledge or interest seem to want to chime in. There has been some misinformation in the past that could be dangerous or sway someone away from dir, all from people with axes to grind or who just saw it on the whats new part and didn't realize its dir (or did and don't care).

...so that we can have a forum that's helpful to dir divers or wannabes.
As a fellow DIR wannabe, I find the forum really helpful. The non-DIR stuff is not too hard to filter out.

I'm not suggesting an opt-in wouldn't make it better. I haven't been here long enough to have an opinion on that. I just wanted to say that it's pretty useful as-is to a total DIR/GUE newbie like me.

Understood, but I wonder if there would be a lot less moderation required if the forum were opt-in? If there's less moderation required, the moderators would still be able to participate more often than not.

If the people who are moderating the DIR forum currently (since they can recognize when the rules are broken) are the same moderators who have more experience in DIR/GUE and would be moderating an opt-in forum, their participation would be impacted the same or less.

There really is too much misinformation and agency bashing in this forum, particularly of GUE. A lot of the above is put forth by some people who took or knew someone who took DIR courses 10 or 20 years ago with someone who had already been kicked out of GUE as well as the next agency, and later even kicked out of their own agency. These stories, sayings, etc. are somehow extrapolated to GUE even though they're irrelevant to what GUE teaches or their guiding principles. People who are in the community can easily spot the misinformation and redirection, but it's often phrased in a misleading way that unnecessarily confuses those new to or exploring GUE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom