DIR- GUE Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salacia2023

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking into Fundies, but what's holding me up is wrapping the long hose around the back of my neck. Due to a traumatic experience, that's a non-starter for me. Could I simply tuck the extra length in my waist strap and attach to the D ring as usual OR is the neck wrap a non-negotiable part of the standard?

The hoses don’t wrap around your neck, a few go behind, but never around.

Edit: I was thinking of making a closed loop around the neck, which they shouldn’t.

I’m sure you could figure some accommodation out, since there’s more than one way to dive

To me, these pictures show the long hose going around the neck. It doesn't completely close, but it goes around the back.

I guess based on my situation, Fundies isn't for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.37.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.37.05 PM.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.37.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 9.37.10 PM.png
    346.6 KB · Views: 134
Maybe, but the standards on their site don’t state anything about the primary being around your neck, unless I’m missing where it states it
View attachment 787415

Yea but come on…you know where the long hose goes…maybe a GUE instructor can comment? I doubt there’s any room for “accommodation.”

To me, these pictures show the long hose going around the neck. It doesn't completely close, but it goes around the back.

I guess based on my situation, Fundies isn't for me.
The 7ft comes up from the canister light on the right hip, crosses your chest, goes behind your head and then into your mouth. It's 100% under your control and nobody elses.

DIR people sometimes do dive with a 40" hose that goes under the right armpit and then up to an elbow or swivel on the first stage. This is not something taught or dove in class because GUE-F is trying to prepare you for advanced diving where 7ft hoses are SOP.

I would discuss your situation with a GUE instructor. If you are hoping to go beyond GUE-F into Tech1 or Cave1 (or even if you aren't) deconditioning therapy might also help you reach your goals.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom