DIR- GUE Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This forum is dead as an opt in.

If you’re posting non DIR stuff, get moderated. Easy. If moderation doesn’t happen, correct the non DIR post and get on with it.
“Correct“ it, yes, but don’t allow yourself to get into an extended argument.

I would contact an instructor and ask. Worse case they say no.

Personally, I’d consider the 40” hose primary and bungeed backup and see if that will work for class. I wouldn’t expect a pass, but I bet you’d still learn a ton and walk away with more knowledge and as a stronger diver. The “pass” doesn’t mean much unless you’re looking to move on to cave/tech. The info and skills are what matters.

The bungeed backup and its proximity to your neck might be even more of a challenge than the long hose. Not sure there’s really a work around for that other that perhaps help via a psychologist that can help you work through it.
There is a solution to the necklace problem (if it is a problem). The diver can take the existing short hose reg with normal necklace and instead of putting it around the neck, clip the necklace to both chest D rings (with double enders or such) such that it hangs pretty much where it's supposed to under the chin. The standards linked above state the short hose reg must be necklaced, but not that it must actually be worn around the neck. The intent of the necklace is to place the reg under the diver's chin so it can be easily found and taken into the diver's mouth immediately upon donating the long hose or failure of the long hose (and if necessary, without the use of hands). If this can be done without the necklace actually around the neck, it seems a reasonable accommodation that does not violate the standard nor prevent the practice of associated skills.
A possible accommodation for the long hose that should not violate either the standards nor the basis of the procedures is to use a 5' or 7' hose with an elbow at the 2nd stage end like would be done with a 40" hose. Then bring the long hose down under the canister as normal and back up but not across the chest and around the back of the neck (just straight up as with 40" hose). Tuck any excess into waist belt as normal. S-drills will now be done as normal except no need to duck head.
Not a GUE instructor, but it seems to me this will meet the letter of the law and allow the diver to learn, practice and execute all the skills necessary for fundies and maybe even higher courses alongside others in the standard config.

There is a solution to the necklace problem (if it is a problem). The diver can take the existing short hose reg with normal necklace and instead of putting it around the neck, clip the necklace to both chest D rings (with double enders or such) such that it hangs pretty much where it's supposed to under the chin. The standards linked above state the short hose reg must be necklaced, but not that it must actually be worn around the neck. The intent of the necklace is to place the reg under the diver's chin so it can be easily found and taken into the diver's mouth immediately upon donating the long hose or failure of the long hose (and if necessary, without the use of hands). If this can be done without the necklace actually around the neck, it seems a reasonable accommodation that does not violate the standard nor prevent the practice of associated skills.
A possible accommodation for the long hose that should not violate either the standards nor the basis of the procedures is to use a 5' or 7' hose with an elbow at the 2nd stage end like would be done with a 40" hose. Then bring the long hose down under the canister as normal and back up but not across the chest and around the back of the neck (just straight up as with 40" hose). Tuck any excess into waist belt as normal. S-drills will now be done as normal except no need to duck head.
Not a GUE instructor, but it seems to me this will meet the letter of the law and allow the diver to learn, practice and execute all the skills necessary for fundies and maybe even higher courses alongside others in the standard config.
Please read the rules of this forum before posting in it.

Wtf no.

I think you may need to google the definition of necklace

Respectfully, please keep in mind that this forum is specifically for discussing DIR answers to DIR questions. It enjoys special rules against advice for DIR-noncompliant configurations.

I am just a lowly mod here and have no DIR training myself, but it's my understanding that this sort of "meet the letter of the law" approach is simply not considered to be doing it right. Standardization is important to the DIR philosophy, and this type of rule-bending is inconsistent with standardization. The input you have given on this may be better received in the Technical Diving forum, and I would encourage you to start a spin-off thread there. Cheers

The OP didn’t even ask a question about the necklace regulator. Her question was about the long hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom