Is this a good package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walkerl

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've decided on some gear to get and have a choice of 2 options. I'm pretty set on the Halcyon Eclipse and am trying to get a complete package based on that BCD. Here are the 2 packages.

1: Halcyon Eclipse BCD
mk25/g250 (not the new 250v, $450)
Cressi XS2 Octo
Mini knife
Scout backup light
Alert marker
150 Safety spool
Wrist compass
Mini SPG
Total $1790
Maybe a $200 "basic" computer

2: Halcyon BCD
mk26/s600
s600 octo
SPG
Cressi EDY dive computer
Total $2145

The first package I put together (the knife, light, marker, spool, and compass are in a package for $290.

The second set-up is a package from the dive shop. I'm leaning towards number 1. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks for the input.
Aloha,
Walker

PS - I've only logged about 25 dives, but want to get the right gear the first time. I also want to do some cave and wreck diving, hence the Halcyon. Plus, it's what most of the dive instructors at my LDS dive with, so the product is well known around the shop.

Personally, I wouldnt buy equipment specifically for cave diving right away. The training for cave diving is rather expensive and you might not even like it.
Having a BCD thats suitable for it is ofc not a downside, but I dont think I would bother spending much time and money on the cave gear before Id had a little look in caverns and decided to start the training for cavern and eventually cave..

On the other hand, if youre sure you want to start with cavern/cave I would definetly say "dont get a basic computer". The only one thing I regret about mine is that it wasnt a more advanced model, than have freshwater and proper altitude modes. Also make sure it supports other gases than only regular air..

Thanks Tigerman. Maybe I should clarify myself a little.

I'm not buying this gear specifically for cave/wreck diving. I realize that there is a lot of training that goes along with these specialties. However, I don't want to get a more conventional set-up, only to find that I want more tech gear 6 months down the road. So I guess I'd rather spend more money up front and save money in the long run. Plus, I do like the bp/w BCD. Even if I do stick to just rec diving, the bp/w is a nice rig to have (I realize this is a topic of discussion in itself.) and I like the DIR mentality (but without the fanatic beliefs). And with the computer, I was thinking that when I do decide to do more tech diving, that would be the one thing I have to upgrade.

However, the more I was thinking tonight the more I was leaning towards package "2" and spending the extra $290 for the knife, light, marker, spool, and compass. The main difference between the two packages is that for maybe $500 more, I get a better computer (Cressi EDY vs the Aladin Prime) and 2 s600 second stages (vs a g250 and a Cressi XS2)

So basically am I out of my mind to drop between $2000 and $2500 on a first time buy. The thought is that I'll be spending a lot up front, but I won't need to upgrade anything so maybe in the long run I'll save some money.

Any thoughts?

Aloha,
Walker

PS - the package deal #2 ends this weekend

walkerl:
However, I don't want to get a more conventional set-up, only to find that I want more tech gear 6 months down the road.
Good for you.
walkerl:
So I guess I'd rather spend more money up front and save money in the long run. Plus, I do like the bp/w BCD. Even if I do stick to just rec diving, the bp/w is a nice rig to have ... and I like the DIR mentality (but without the fanatic beliefs).
Again, you're thinking along some reasonable lines. I might suggest that DIR, per se, is not associated with 'fanatic beliefs'. But other than that you appear to be starting off in a good direction.
walkerl:
The main difference between the two packages is that for maybe $500 more, I get a better computer (Cressi EDY vs the Aladin Prime) and 2 s600 second stages (vs a g250 and a Cressi XS2)
I have a strong personal bias in favor of having two good - identical, in fact - second stages, rather than a good priamry and a so-so octo. So, I agree that is an advantage of the second. As long as the computer supports multiple gases (including O2 up to 99%) and is easy to read underwater, you should be in good shape.

walkerl:
So basically am I out of my mind to drop between $2000 and $2500 on a first time buy.
Ah, grasshopper, that is a very dangerous question to ask on SB! :D It IS a lot of money right out of the chute, if this is your first rig. And, while you probably won't NEED to upgrade for a while, you may find that your rig preferences evolve and you probably WILL spend more money. It is the nature of diving.

Thanks for your imput Colliam7. In no way did I mean any disrespect to any DIR divers. It just seems that there is some debate as to whether DIR is A way or THE way. As with anything, there will be opinions for both and some people will believe that their way is the ONLY way. To each his own, but I respect each individuals right to do their own thing. But that is a whole other discussion.

I also realize that $2000 is only scratching the surface of the potential diving "well" that can suck a bank account dry. Just didn't know if this is a good way to break into the diving scene, especially with only about 25 dives under my belt. I do know that I will be diving as much as possible (I live in Hawaii so I can dive year round. My LDS is about 15 min from my house. Lucky me.) So please, keep the good advice coming.

Aloha,
Walker

I wouldnt say that spending 2000 or 2500 dollars on the first gear set is insane, but then again at current exchange rates, I spent well over 3000 dollars on my first set, which included a drysuit.
I DID get the Aladin Prime and as I said, I miss proper freshwater and altitude settings. It does have nitrox settings.
With regards to caverns and caves, atleast around here, you might find a lot of them in fresh water and/or altitude and then it kinda sux missing those features on the computer. I have NOT started going there yet, but I have a few places in mind that could be some cool cavern/cave dives. However I do dive lots of fresh and live on the border of altitude atm.
With regards to the BP/W, as I said, having one if you like diving with it and intend to use it as a primary (which is good from a familiarity viewpoint as well), is not a bad thing at all, I just wouldnt put too much into the special gear for cavern/cave just yet.
A good deal that end up in your closet, not being used is not really a good deal, if you catch my drift..
The computer and BCD / BP/W choice is not choices I would primarilly call cavern/cave choices, but general diving choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom