Sharm....AMAZING!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rule62

Reaction score
Here's a report I posted on a different forum:

Just returned from Sharm el Sheikh and all I can say is AMAZING!!! 2 weeks diving the Red Sea was by far, the very best diving I've ever had. My wife and I have dove all over the Caribbean and there is no comparison. I don't know exactly where RECDiver's friend was diving but, like anything else, it's all about perspective and what one is looking for in a dive. We had 23 dives in 9 days and I can honestly say, there was only one "local" dive that was not exceptional and we expected that going in. The viz, reef health and variety/abundance of marine life was better than anything I've ever seen in the Caribbean. We dove almost every major site in the Strait of Tiran and Ras Mohammed National Park.

The "liveaboards" tied together were probably the large dive boats (20 to 35 divers) who were doing their surface interval. It's a common practice to head to nearby lagoons, bays, etc to grab lunch and chill before afternoon dives. Since there are strictly enforced laws governing dive ops, this is the most practical and least disruptive method of doing your SI.

We stayed and dove with Oonas Dive Club (Red Sea Diving Holiday Hotel, Oonas Dive Club, Sharm El Sheikh.) located on the north end of Naama Bay. If you’re serious about diving, it’s all divers, all about diving, all the time!! Oonas is owned by a group out of Cairo but run and staffed mainly by Brits, Aussies and South Africans. It is a first class operation with professional, world class dive guides who allow you to dive without being hassled. A side benefit is they have 15 liter (equivalent to 120s) steel tanks if you're looking for a little extra bottom time! The dive day usually started at 08:00 and we were back at the hotel by 5:00 PM.

After diving, we'd get squared away and then head out to eat at one of the several excellent restaurants surrounding Naama Bay. In addition to the restaurants, there are also several excellent saloons (with and without entertainment) around the bay. Even though we were there during the last 2 weeks of Ramadan, the Egyptians were the most gracious, hospitable folks we've ever run into. We were out every night and, without exception, everyone we met made us feel welcomed and were genuinely glad we were there. It was like Disneyland on steroids except the people were sincere. Unlike many Caribbean destinations, we were never concerned with safety and walked everywhere at anytime without any fear.

We stopped in Cairo on the way back and that was equally excellent. We lined up a private guide (200 euro for 2 days 2 people) through Oonas Tours which was exceptional. Spent 2 days seeing everything in and around Cairo in a brand new air conditioned van with a driver and a guide who had degrees in Egyptology and archeology. We went where we wanted to go and spent as long as we wanted.

The ONLY bad part of our entire trip were the Russians EVERYWHERE. Our dive guide told us that after a couple of rare car bombs (aimed at a group of Egyptians) in 2003, the Egyptian government made a deal with the Russian government to subsidize tourists traveling from Russia. Don't know if this is true but it sounded reasonable!! Consequently, you get a lower class of rude, arrogant Russians who act like they own the place.

I could go on and on but, suffice to say, we had exceptional time. My wife and I have traveled all over the world but Egypt and especially Sharm el Sheikh, ranks at the top of the list for all of the above reasons.

Here’s a link to a few pics
TexasDiver53 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thanks for your report. Loved it.

I agree, the Red Sea diving is the best!

Great report and pics !!!

The Red Sea is one of those places on my "must go back again" list .

Exactly right Christian. We went about 30 meters off the reef and dropped into the blue. Went down to about 32 meters and they come up from the trough and checked us out. Totally amazing. Right again on where I shot those snappers. Thanks for IDing them for me. By the way, nice pic of the hammerhead.

Thanks for the report. I am seriously considering stopping there for two days of diving on my way back from a business trip to Istanbul in mid-December. I am a newly certified diver. By December I will only have one or two additional Key dives under my belt. Do you have an opinion on whether the shop you used would be well suited to a beginner? Thanks much.

Thanks for the report. I am seriously considering stopping there for two days of diving on my way back from a business trip to Istanbul in mid-December. I am a newly certified diver. By December I will only have one or two additional Key dives under my belt. Do you have an opinion on whether the shop you used would be well suited to a beginner? Thanks much.

All dive ops here suit for beginners as well as experienced divers.

Exactly right Christian. We went about 30 meters off the reef and dropped into the blue. Went down to about 32 meters and they come up from the trough and checked us out. Totally amazing. Right again on where I shot those snappers. Thanks for IDing them for me. By the way, nice pic of the hammerhead.

Glad if I can help. Here are some more hammers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom