Boosters? Which cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, after starting into "improvised and low cost hp gas boosters" it seems that the cherry picker cylinder I was thinking of using is not suitable for a booster. Seems I'll have to look for a off an old lift or something? Any suggestions? Or maybe even hints on what too look for. Pictures of your handy work would be appreciated greatly. Hopefully someone out there will have some information on where and how too achieve a simple cost effective booster.
Thanks all,
Joe

I can't believe no one has any info on a booster cylinder selection? With all the knowledge floating neutrally around here, there's got too be someone with some input or where too look.
Joe

Try surplus places, you basically want a tie rod cylinder, the trick is finding one that is 3000PSI rated, many are rated lower than that. Got any details for us as to how it's being driven, what gasses you're going to pass through it?

Was thinking O2, but after doing some research, they say don't build an O2 booster for risk of explosions. So, was thinking that Argon and Helium would be the gasses boosted. I was thinking of running it with a lp compressor. (would that be best?) As far as O2 goes I can partial pressure my deco bottles for awhile ountil the pressure equalizes then swap it to the continous flow blend bottle. That won't work the best considering an 80% mix will kill a bottle in no time, but for now the cost of a Haskel is not in the budget. our compressor set us back a few $$$. Today we set up two 6k tanks as a bank and are getting two more too set up a cascading system. we are building a blending stick too continous blend as per the oxy hacker handbook. We (my dive buddy and I) are on a limited budget right now and were hopping too cut a few costs while keeping the compressor where it sets and moving it via air/O2 mail if you know what I mean. Not that it would go far considering the weight of it!!! I'll get more pic's of the fill station and setup as it all comes together.

Attachments

• The Beast.jpg
    The Beast.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 115
Yeah, I wouldn't advise trying to convert something into O2 use that wasn't initially designed for O2. How are you planning on using an LP shop compressor to run it? Pneumatic/Hydraulic jack? I'm designing my own booster right now, so I've got a lot of ideas floating in my head, and always on the lookout for more.

Jim

Exactly, not sure how to plumb it though. Doing more research. Trying too figure out the best method and parts before I start and get half way and findout it was all a BIG MISTAKE!!

Sorry...more questions than answers here...what do you mean a 80% mix will "kill a bottle"? and I agree with the comment to plumb He into the nitrox stick. One thing I might offer with regards to a LP compressor used for drive air.....I figure I need 8 cfm @ 150 psi to boost effectively and thats not the inexpensive compressor at Sears. I am having the same dillema. Good luck!

One thing I might offer with regards to a LP compressor used for drive air.....I figure I need 8 cfm @ 150 psi to boost effectively and thats not the inexpensive compressor at Sears. I am having the same dillema. Good luck!

So get a 20 CFM like I have in my garage :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom