Boosters? Which cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a general contractor that builds houses and have many lp compressors and not the cheap ones from sears.:no That is not a problem. As far as killing a tank, I mean a couple 80% 40cf 3000psi deco bottles will drop a bulk tank in a hurry. Blending a little on the old fashioned way, without a He analyzer not sure other than partial pressure filling, the correct flow of He to put into the continous flow mix. Enlighten me! As far as driving the booster, I could run a designated line to the booster from the storage tanks/compressor too drive it also, just thought that with the surplus of lp compressors that would be a viable option.
Joe

Well, you *should* get an He analyzer, or combination O2 He analyzer.

If you don't want to buy an He analyzer, you could use another stick plumbed into the main stick. The first stick needs to have no air inlet. Mix O2 and He in that stick, using 1-(O2 sensor reading) to determine He mix in first stick. Plumb that into the second stick, and use the second O2 sensor (in the second stick) to determine what percentage of the first stick gas is going into the compressor.

Edit: OR, if you want to use only one stick, and your compressor's output is fairly stable, you can do it like this:

Start up compressor, calibrate O2 sensor, add He until you get the reading you want (i.e. 13.7% for 21/35, 11.7% for 18/45 or 9.5% for 15/55), then add oxygen until you get the correct mix (21%, 18% and 15%, respectively).

I think Vance goes over this in the Oxygen Hacker's Companion book.

I'm a general contractor that builds houses and have many lp compressors and not the cheap ones from sears.:no That is not a problem. As far as killing a tank, I mean a couple 80% 40cf 3000psi deco bottles will drop a bulk tank in a hurry. Blending a little on the old fashioned way, without a He analyzer not sure other than partial pressure filling, the correct flow of He to put into the continous flow mix. Enlighten me! As far as driving the booster, I could run a designated line to the booster from the storage tanks/compressor too drive it also, just thought that with the surplus of lp compressors that would be a viable option.
Joe

Just out of curiosity, what are you using as the drive cylinder with your lp air to push the boost cylinder?

Not exactly sure, That was part of the reason for posting here on scuba board. (for the broad horizons that are available here) Just looking for some input as far as some of what others have done or tried, what worked or didn't. I'm still in the research end of the building my mixing station. I've been blending PP for awhile now but am tired of sending back He or filling party ballons with what is left in a tank. Also, I've heard that running He through a compressor is not the greatest on it. I feel confident in my mixing abilities and also in my mechanical skills too build a booster, just not sure what is the best way too do it?

well for starters, if you're going to use lp shop air to power a booster, you'll need to either be using a pneumatic/hydraulic jack, or your lp cylinder will have to be massively larger than your hp boost cylinder. I'll be happy to help with the math of working out the required pressures and cylinder sizes if you need. PM me if you have any specific questions I can help with.

Jim

So, I guess a smaller hydraulic jack will be the drive cylinder, and will keep researching the purticulars as far as how too plumb them together. I know I will need a few check valves and trying too keep all the plumbing too a minimum. I am reading the Oxy hacker first and will be reading the Improvised and low cost HP gas booster book after that, I hope that all these questions will be premature after reading all this info. Thanks for all the input and will keep in touch and let you know how things are going and the progress. If you have any more input as far as what too be looking for and where too possibly get them, It would be most appreciated.
Joe

You basically just need a check valve in and out on your boost cylinder. The cylinder obviously needs to be rated for your desired pressure. Most hydraulic tie rod cylinders would fit the bill reasonably well. If you have an idea of what your max pressure will be, and the approx size of cylinder you can get your hands on, I'll be able to tell you the minimum you need for your drive cylinder or jack.

I remember seeing an old picture of a booster mounted on a long wooden board and powered by two guys and a long metal bar.
Thanks Dannobee, but I don't think I'm quite that OLD SCHOOL.:rofl3: But I guess it takes sifting through the relics too get what you are looking for. I also remember seeing that picture. Was that you on one end of that metal bar?:confused::rofl3: Apparently asking for valid info from some is too much too ask for. I don't care if you don't have any input, but the comics were not asked for. Sorry I don't know everything and thought I'd ask for help from others that may have more experience in the art of building a gas booster. Sorry if you feel these are questions that don't require pertinant answers but I thought before I blew up a shop and compressor room I would ask for HELPFUL info from some of the more knowledgeable divers/blenders/boosters than myself.

Attachments

• mixing manifold 001.jpg
    mixing manifold 001.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 37
  • mixing manifold 002.jpg
    mixing manifold 002.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 41
  • O2 pp bottle.jpg
    O2 pp bottle.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 41
Here are some other pic's, we're trying too do it right. We will be polishing up the loose ends as time allows. Hopefully we can keep it there and not blow anything up in the meantime. Thanks Jimmer for all the help! I will keep in touch.

Attachments

• O2 pp bottle.jpg
    O2 pp bottle.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 46
  • work area.jpg
    work area.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 38
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom