Why do I like my gear so much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tammymacb

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, first of all. I'm very happy with my gear.:D But, I also realize, I'm not diving with anything too special.

I have

Sherwood BC
Sherwood Reg
Aries 2 Computer
Tusa Mask and Fins

Would I be lots happier with other gear? Am I only happy with my stuff 'cause I'm familiar and comfortable with it? Should I be pining for the latest and the greatest?

Sherwood BC
Sherwood Reg
Aries 2 Computer
Tusa Mask and Fins

Would I be lots happier with other gear? Am I only happy with my stuff 'cause I'm familiar and comfortable with it? Should I be pining for the latest and the greatest?

There's nothing wrong with what you have Tammy. Assuming it all fits you you can be a very capable recreational diver with that stuff. Just for kicks read the gear in my profile.

Pete

Honestly.....if you are comfortable with what you have stick with it. If you get to try dive something that catches your eye then go for it. I have been with the same brand mask, fins and BC for 5 years. Most expensive and newest doesn't neccesarily mean the greatest

Happiness or satisfaction with your gear comes from three points.

First point comes during your dives. If you are constantly fussing with it, clearing your mask and/or shifting/tightening or loosening your straps, breathing or shifting and fumbling around, then you are not happy. If on the other hand, during your dive all your are thinking about is how beautiful things are then your gear is fine.

The second point is gear envy. You see some gear you just think is cool or someone tells you about some new whatever, you begin the process of deciding if it will be better to have the new or better stuff. Many times it just leads to spending money on something that may move you to the first point.

Last, need. Your diving style has changed and new gear is needed to make the transition.

All are valid, in moderation.

Some people are happy with anything and some people are never happy with anything.

N

i too love my sherwood regs.... to the point of nearly having a barny over wanting to keep them and hubby wanting me to get rid of them.

why i love them - i know them so well, i know how they should sound underwater, they are dependabel and they bring be back after ever dive and as a result i look after them.

also, by not having to buy the newest and latest it means we have $$ for the other things that we do need... like tropical holidays :D

cheers

i too love my sherwood regs.... to the point of nearly having a barny over wanting to keep them and hubby wanting me to get rid of them.

What's a barny?

OK, first of all. I'm very happy with my gear.:D But, I also realize, I'm not diving with anything too special.

I have

Sherwood BC
Sherwood Reg
Aries 2 Computer
Tusa Mask and Fins

There is a tendency for gear fetishism in any sport.

Your primary necessities are: an alert informed mindset, and water.

Lots of water.

:coffee:

I too dive with fairly basic gear. Getting hung up on the latest and greatest gear can divert your attention from the import aspect of recreational diving (enjoyment) and basic skills such as bouyancy control, situational awareness, etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom