Trapping groupers, red snappers...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
Anyone experienced in such methods around ?
Suggestions on hardware and thinkware ?:11doh:
Miguel

If you're talking about in Florida, get a Federal permit! Before you invest in hardware.

I only know of one kind of fish trap. I used to see them in Malaysia...a cage with a way in and no way out, left underwater with bait. But sometimes the retrieving rope breaks and they stay there and catch and kill fish for a long time. I believe they were illegal then...back in 98.

They're commercial gear, special licenses etc, where they are legal.

Well, here we go again.

The OP is not asking how to misuse a trap.

I personally would like to hear more about the difference between legal and illegal traps. Looks like there is someone here in the thread that knows about that, and could enlighten the rest of us. Is it the material, size of the openings?

Thanks. This is not related to U.S.A.

The little I know about traps, is that they must be made of materials that will degrade fast by rotting or rusting to prevent fauna death with no useful purpose in case the trap is lost or abandoned. Makes
total sense. But still, a trap that disintegrates in a 'reasonable' time could be more than a week and would present a rebuilding task every time it is used.

The size of openings is related to exit ways, to allow smaller specimens to escape.

I wonder how would a large fish behave if pulled captive out of the water, the vigorous show and handling difficulty it would pose...

Harvesting a trap diving is another ethic subject.

More than anything am curious about how are they constructed and their use strategy.
Miguel

Well, here we go again.

The OP is not asking how to misuse a trap.

Perhaps he should have posted in the "underwater TRAPPING" forum...:D Happy T Day...
But check this site under :science and management" of red grouper. As of Feb 2007 traps were declared illegal in the Gulf of Mexico.
FishWatch - Red Grouper

When you talk to the fisheries dept for your permits that are required, they will give you an idea of what traps are legal or illegal depending on what the local restrictions are in your area. The material that the traps are made out of are also sometimes restricted. On the east coast, the fisheries have used "Chevron" traps for years and do better with black bass then grouper. Check with the local reg dept and you can gain a wealth of info on your targeted species. If you are diving, loosing traps isn't usually an issue. Weight it and it won't go far. I have been amazed lately at what I have caught in my commercial style crab pots including juvi gags while going after blue claw crabs.

Back
Top Bottom