Apollo AV1 red light issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ImScubaPaul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all I’ve had a Apollo AV1 for around 6 months and recently converted to lithium it’s been running a treat since with no issues whatsoever. The problem is the last time I used it it suddenly cut off. No flooding or no sign of moisture inside I then recharged the battery and connected the red moisture indicator light is staying on inside. It is still running too but not tested it out at sea. Any ideas how to check the wiring on the two prongs as it’s a sealed unit. Or anyone else had the same problem any help would be appreciated.
image.jpg

.. or no sign of moisture inside ....
When you say "Inside", do you mean the battery compartment on top or did you remove the sealed motor bulk head below and also look at the 2nd compartment inside? It's possible that overheating damaged the red light moisture sensor.

You need to meticulous clean the two screw heads on the top of the bulkhead. If a tiny bit of salt water gets in the top then the light turns on.

More likely water go in through the rear. You need to remove the prop assembly and check that compartment and drain water and rinse with freshwater.

Then you are going to remove the bulkhead and see where the water sensor is which turns the light on and shorts out the scooter. I’ve done it way too many times. I can talk you through it if you want. It sux

Then when all that is done; you can begin to think about the actual problem.. what caused the water to get in there in the first place? It takes an amazingly small amount of leakage to set off the red light and shut down the scooter. It is an almost constant battle with my old scooter. Scooter diving would be soo boooring, if you always knew what was going to happen when you press the trigger!

When you say "Inside", do you mean the battery compartment on top or did you remove the sealed motor bulk head below and also look at the 2nd compartment inside? It's possible that overheating damaged the red light moisture sensor.
Hi Johnoly I’ve not removed the sealed bulk head was looking at the two prongs and wondering if there may be corrosion to the wiring in the sealed unit and what sort of job it would be to get to.

Thanks
You need to meticulous clean the two screw heads on the top of the bulkhead. If a tiny bit of salt water gets in the top then the light turns on.

More likely water go in through the rear. You need to remove the prop assembly and check that compartment and drain water and rinse with freshwater.

Then you are going to remove the bulkhead and see where the water sensor is which turns the light on and shorts out the scooter. I’ve done it way too many times. I can talk you through it if you want. It sux
Thanks John that makes sense and any guidance would be much appreciated.

the two screws to the right (90 degrees around) serve as the water sensor, not the posts you are pointing to. If there is any salt between them, it shorts out and turns on the light. Those two screws penetrate the bulkhead and extend down into the sealed cavity. They detect water intrusion on the inside (as well) by way of a piece of nylon belt that connects them. When that belt gets damp, especaily with salt water, then it shorts out, turns the light on and precludes the motor from running.

Once that belt gets damp with salt water, it needs to be removed, carefully washed to remove all dissolved salts, dried and then replaced and you can verify the light is no longer going to turn on. You also obviously need to remove the salt water on the inside.

Pulling the bulkhead involves removal of the wires to the battery, remalal of the 4 screws on each corner of the bulkhead, goggling out all the silicone sealant over the screws and the perimeter of the bulkhead. A steak knife works well. This is tedious and will take a while.

Then the hard part, yanking the bulkhead upward. If the thing has not been disaasembled previously it is a bitch because the caulking/sealant is used down below where you can scrap it. I generally use two vice grips on the vertical walls that hold the battery in place, stand on the bottom of the prop shroud and pull and swear and pray I don't break anything. Work it slowly back and forth. You also want to slowly remove it, you can't yank it up a long distance or it will destroy all the attached electrical stuff below.

You got to be super careful you don't screw up the sealing edge of the bottom half of the scooter when working on it.

But you need to remove the prop assembly as a 2 minute inspection procedure as well. Depending on how flooded the prop assembly is and how much water got inside behind the bulkhead, you can try to fix the actual cause of the problem. All the stuff above is just getting it to turn on, it does not fix your actual leakage problem.

Before butchering plastic sealing components consider plastic tools
and limit steak knife use to juicy steaks, and also for dir people only

1706599951312.png

and possibly replace this seal and the two prop orings before even thinking about bulkhead work

What I find quite intriguing about these beauties is the shaft seal unlike a standard seal with a metal cup within
these rely on a rubber seal of similar shape, but is compressed within a brass housing and metal plate for shape

Here's an AV-1 parts schematic

192 IMG_0269a.jpg

It's a POP!

So show us some photos of your battery setup

ImScubaPaul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom