Bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
Does anyone collect old bottles? There
isn't any treasure in Michigan but maybe
there are some old bottles where the
boats dock during lumbering days. I don't
know anything about finding them...does
anyone out there do it?:confused:

Lawman once bubbled...
Does anyone collect old bottles? There
isn't any treasure in Michigan but maybe
there are some old bottles where the
boats dock during lumbering days. I don't
know anything about finding them...does
anyone out there do it?:confused:

Collecting bottles is quite popular here in Michigan. The Detroit river has been a great source for finding old bottles. During prohabition, the rum runners ran the Detroit river a lot and many times dumped their load in order not to get caught. Once in a while you can still find a case of whiskey that has been aged in the river.

I didn't think of that. I know they dumped
a lot of booze when chased. Also, cars that
drove accross the river sometimes went thru
the ice [at least Elmore Leonard say so]

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to the Wreck
festival or whatever it is on Feb.22 in Dearborn
and maybe run into some bottle hunters.:D

i love old bottles, but it is getting harder to find them. in your area research where there used to be taverns on the shore of your diving area, like the river shore or lake shore and that is where to start diving, try after something major happens with the weather, like a storm or such, as it will sometimes uncover things that have been burried for a long time. good hunting....

I think I know a couple of places
like that. Thanks for the tip.:D

Hehehe, we've been hoovering em up for over twenty years up here lawman, so don't bother with this area.:D

Got some real nice ones two!

Butch103 and I did a major bottle dive this summer at mouth of river flowing out of local lake. Current from winter had piled up a large number of bottles all around the elbow at river mouth. In fact it was all we could to do hump the full goodie bags back to the boat. At one point it was easier for me to walk backwards on the bottom holding the bag against my chest, this was easier than heaving bag forward 1 foot at a time.

Incidentally we both agreed underwater and especially afterwards that we were crazy.........................

Looking forward to doing it all over again after ice goes out and current dies down.

Dave

Can anybody tell me how to find out which bottles are worth $$$?
Is there a web site or something with pictures of valuable bottles?
We find them from time to time in the local lakes around here, but most of them are old Dr.Pepper or Coke bottles.

a newsletter I found. Just type in bottle
collecting.

gedunk I think you've been hunting the'
West Arm, right? How about over on Elk
Lake by Rex Terrace. It was there for a
long time and maybe people dropped
or threw some bottles in the water?
Around Central Lake might be good too.
I know I've thrown a few in there!

Even if they arn't old, maybe I can get
the .10 deposit! A new Career!!

Lawman once bubbled...
a newsletter I found. Just type in bottle
collecting.

gedunk I think you've been hunting the'
West Arm, right? How about over on Elk
Lake by Rex Terrace. It was there for a
long time and maybe people dropped
or threw some bottles in the water?
Around Central Lake might be good too.
I know I've thrown a few in there!

Even if they arn't old, maybe I can get
the .10 deposit! A new Career!!
Years ago there used to be a bottle factory right where the "open space" is by the zoo. Got much of my good stuff there. Now you play dodgeball with boats and jetskis so we only do it early spring and late fall. It's pretty picked over though.

The boardman river can be good also since the sand is constantly shifting. We do clean-up dives there several times a year and the same spot can yield new stuff a year later.

Never thought of Rex Terrace. The owner used to be the CEO of Munson hospital and i golf in the same league he does. I know him pretty well and will ask about diving there. Thanks for the idea!

Never dove Central lake so i have no idea.

One of my favorite dives is to hit popular ice fishing sites right after the ice goes out. Those drunks are always dropping good stuff through the hole. Anyone need ice fishing gear?

Happy hunting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom