Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alfonso

New
Reaction score
i HAVE BEN DIVING OFF AND ON FOR 20 + YEARS AND HAVE FOUND OVER THE YEARS THAT THE OPPERTUNITY TO SHARE EXPERIENCE WITH A NEWER LESS EXPERIENCED DIVER IS A REWARDING DIVE BUT THERE ARE TIMES WHEN OFF TIME AND BUDDYS DO NOT COINCIDE AND A GOOD SOLO SPEAR FISHING TRIP TO A WELL KNOWN SITE WITH PROPER PREPRATION AND FORE KNOWLEDGE OF THE RISK IS ACCEPTABLE AND VERY RELAXING. IT IS NOT FOR EVERY ONE AND SHOULD NOT EVER BE THE FIRST CHOICE. BUT IN REALITY THERE ARE CONDITIONS IN RECOVERY SEARCHES THAT SOLO IS THE ONLY WAY TO PERFORM THE TASK AT HAND AND YOU DO WHAT IS NECESSARY.:bonk:

STOP SHOUTING!:wink:

We can hear you just fine.

Must be a refugee from another board, I hear that's the norm on some of them. So Alfonso, it that's the case, we operate a lot different on this board. While we squabble sometimes, we keep it cool and civil, a big happy family. If you would like to join us, welcome...just tone it down some. Oh, and I agree with you. I have had the occasion to solo dive and I love it. I like to do some UW photography and I am a poor buddy in that mode. It's not for everybody and is not to be taken lightly.....no need to shout about it however.

I think he just forgot to take the caps off, I really do not think he meant it as yelling. Anyway , I agree with what he said, there are times that you are better of solo.

I mean don't you? When I dive, which is always with a buddy or a group up until now, I have the mindset that the only one who is going to keep me out of trouble is myself. There may be others around, but really I'M the only one responsible for my own safety. I check my gear, make sure it's working properly, that the air is on, my BC works and that my computer is functioning. I'm responsible to pay attention to which direction we take from the boat, so I can find my way back. So at some level, we always dive ALONE, even with a buddy or with a group????

Am I all alone in this concept, or have I been out of the water too long????

Hmmm, only one post and it is about solo diving... Sounds suspiciously like a troll to me...

Are we talking about 'Solo Diving', or 'Self-contained Diving'?

Any muppet (no offence intended) can solo-dive by just bugging out on their own and heading off into the blue. Whether they come back or not is another matter.....

But that changes, vis-a-vis risk and bail-out, when you adjust to self-contained diving (i.e. by having sufficient redundancy and the ability to extract yourself - buddiless - from the sh*t when it goes wrong on you).

There is also an argument to say that all Instructor/DMs dive solo when leading a herd of divers around a given site, or when they train more than one person.

And let's be honest - using an A-clamp or DIN 1st stage on a single cylinder with two regs off it and no pony (or other independent air source) doesn't count as redundancy in the event of an incident - as you'll have to rely on a buddy in this case to bail you out. If you're solo diving on a gig & rig as just described, then you've just signed up for a world of hurt if it goes wrong.

Dive safe, dive redundant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom