My FIRST Solo Dive (Non certified)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To clarify, the pony should be with you on all your dives
Ok thanks for the clarification. For a setup, I'm currently looking for a 40cf bottle, just trying to decide on the regulator. I've read that some divers go cheap with the regulator, thinking it won't be used, while others will spend an arm and a leg for one. I'm thinking about a Cressi since that is what I currently dive with and have no problems.

Ok thanks for the clarification. For a setup, I'm currently looking for a 40cf bottle, just trying to decide on the regulator. I've read that some divers go cheap with the regulator, thinking it won't be used, while others will spend an arm and a leg for one. I'm thinking about a Cressi since that is what I currently dive with and have no problems.
If you plan to travel ( fly) to dive, an AL40 is too large to fit into a suitcase. My personal choice is an AL19

As for the the regs, it’s easiest if they all match. Extra points if you can service them yourself

I would take the view that size of pony cylinder should be based on your realistic gas requirement for bailing out in an emergency from the maximum depth that you are going to dive rather than whether it fits in a suitcase.

I have a pony I used when I first started solo diving, then I switch to twins, don’t think I’d ever go back to a pony.

38 dives in 8 days?

I doubt very much I'd do any solo dive (much less my very first) while in a drysuit for the first time, but that's been said. I solo dive wet all the time, but usually limit my depth to about 30 feet. I don't have the Solo/Self R. cert. I figure it's really glorified snorkel/free diving-- but probably safer since you have air with you. Anyway, as a solo diver you can just do your own "buddy check" that we all talk about. BWRAF if you will. Yes, I have forgotten to do a thing or two with equipment over many years. BTW, my first dive was after my 75th dive, and because my location made it difficult to find a new buddy after my first (and only regular) one moved.

I would take the view that size of pony cylinderer should be based on your realistic gas requirement for bailing out in an emergency from the maximum depth that you are going to dive rather than whether it fits in a suitcasewith .
While I absolutely agree there is no such thing as too much gas underwater, there are very pragmatic considerations about what size of a pony is best. Unless your SAC is unusually high, 19 ft^3 gives ample time to ascend with an extremely conservative profile from 100-110 ft

The benefit is you dive with exactly the same gas configuration. There are multiple threads on the normalization of deviance, good reading all

I doubt very much I'd do any solo dive (much less my very first) while in a drysuit for the first time, but that's been said. I solo dive wet all the time, but usually limit my depth to about 30 feet. I don't have the Solo/Self R. cert. I figure it's really glorified snorkel/free diving-- but probably safer since you have air with you. Anyway, as a solo diver you can just do your own "buddy check" that we all talk about. BWRAF if you will. Yes, I have forgotten to do a thing or two with equipment over many years. BTW, my first dive was after my 75th dive, and because my location made it difficult to find a new buddy after my first (and only regular) one moved.
Yes it was bold/crazy to do my first solo in a drysuit but as I mentioned, it's difficult to get people to dive with, schedules don't mesh or they bail out and I'm just sitting idle. I figured if I was very safe and erred on the side of caution (i.e. close to shore, depth of 20ft), I'd be fine.

38 dives in 8 days?
Part of my plan to be a better diver. It was NOT to pad dive count, I've been told the best way to get proficient at diving is to just do it. So I traveled to Key Largo and dove. I'm thinking about doing the same thing for drysuit. Here are my trip recaps:

Part of my plan to be a better diver. It was NOT to pad dive count, I've been told the best way to get proficient at diving is to just do it. So I traveled to Key Largo and dove. I'm thinking about doing the same thing for drysuit. Here are my trip recaps:

If you’re doing something poorly or incorrectly, how do you know to correct it without someone there to tell you?

Eg. Trim, weighting, etc.
Where can you shore dive in key largo?
And have you considered going on an advanced boat such as Horizon, not only will you get a real dive in, but you’ll see how others set up their gear and it may give you ideas on how to better setup you own.

I have never been a fan of the BWRAF. Seems too random of a way to check your gear.
Begin in the water with a Bubble Check. If you have bubbles - get out and fix your gear. You should not begin a dive with the mental burden of gear issues in you head.
As a cave diver I use... Right to Left. Front Top to Bottom. Back Top to Bottom.
As an example...
Right arm - nothing.
Right upper D Ring - Spare Regulator - GoPro.
Next is My Regulator hanging over my right shoulder - I put in my mouth, face in the water, without a mask on, and breath it, I am expecting it to breath easy and dry. Great opportunity to practice breathing without a mask on.
Drysuit inflator. Check that it fills.
Left Upper D ring - Light, I turn it on under water and look to see that it works and I show you that it works. I have my Pressure Gauge clipped off also, and announce to you what my pressure is. Above on the strap is my Line Cutter. I will show it to you so you know what it is and how it deploys.
Inflator/Delator. I fill and Dump.
Shoulder Drysuit dump valve. Check that it is set correctly.
Left arm - Computer is on and set to the correct gas/air. Compass direction out with it marked for the direction out.
Now its your turn...
Followed by anything in your lower front. Weights in pockets and secured. Drysuit pockets Spare mask, emergency spool, wet notes, surface marker, etc
Back... Valve is 100% open. anything clipped off on your butt area etc.
Notice that I didn't mention shoulder straps adjusted - waist adjusted etc. Divers have different gear - Jacket style vs back inflate BCD's.

As for the solo dive - I dive in caves solo - but I dive sidemount (two completely independent sources of gas/air) and usually a stage (again completely independent source of gas/air). Think about a failure at 20 feet of open water - vs - a failure at 80 feet of open water. For me a failure at 20 feet and I can go to the surface - but at 80 feet - a buddy - or a second source of gas/air to breathe would make a huge difference. If you are going to solo dive then Be Smart.
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom