Where is the best solo shore diving on the planet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xNateX

New
Reaction score
1. Where is the best solo shore diving on the planet?

2. Where is the best solo BUDGET shore diving on the planet?

Bonaire is probably tops. The friction point being that it's priced according to western standards. Example, renting a vehicle there (a truck probably as the car rental places I've seen on-line prominently display "not for diving") is easily ballpark $2,000 a month. Just a scooter, monthly, is $400. Rent another grand or more. So on and so forth.

I believe Indonesia and the Philippines have laws against solo diving. I know that people do rent tanks in Amed, Bali, Indonesia, and do solo dives, but I'd like to stay within the legal framework.

Thailand. This is the only place I can think of. I believe it does allow solo diving, the caveat being that of having one's own gear (I do), and simply renting tanks as needed simplifies the matter. Kata Reef in Phuket is an easy, quality, shore dive. Koh Tao of course.

We all have our preferences for doing the things we do. I'm a bachelor and I love doing me, solo and free. Just want a nice inexpensive place to step out when the mood strikes, blow some bubbles in a beautiful, safe-ish environment, and carry on with the rest of my day. Not really interested in what the world at large does, or thinks. May pick up a solo diver qualification at some point if I can see it providing some value somewhere. Am leaning towards Koh Tao at the moment...

If you plan to do some shore diving from Koh Tao, prepare for some really long dives. The north, west and south sides gradually slope down, mainly sand areas. The east side is rougher, but also mostly inaccessible over land. It's nearly all boat dives.

My best solo shore dives: here at home :cool:

I go solodiving in Indonesia next week, so after that I can tell you my experiences. But at least the hotel+unlimited diving is not that expensive.

In Malta you also can do easy solodiving, but need a car. And on Malta itself the traffic is horrible. On Gozo it is better. Zeeland in the Netherlands is also a good place to do solodiving. But it can also be done in France in the caves in the Lot area or Jura, no problems there.

Curacao should work out a little cheaper than Bonaire, with more to do topside. Pedal a bike to the beach, mask, fins, snorkel, and reg in a basket, BC on back. Get tanks and weights on site for $15 a dive.

Yes, Curacao also works, but a car is also there required. You can rent tanks from 1 divecenter and take them with you also. Have also done there solodiving.

Yes, Curacao also works, but a car is also there required. You can rent tanks from 1 divecenter and take them with you also. Have also done there solodiving.
I would argue based on his criteria a car would not be required. Could spend a month out by West Punt, followed by a month close to town, and a month down east. Then he could get away with a bike.

I would argue based on his criteria a car would not be required. Could spend a month out by West Punt, followed by a month close to town, and a month down east. Then he could get away with a bike.
I guess if one got an airbnb in Westpunt not on the Ocean it would be cheap enough. If you didn't have a car one could take the public bus 10 miles towards Willmestad to the nearest decent grocery store and cook for yourself. Keep in mind there is no grocery store in Westpunt. I don't think one can stay on ocean with walk in shore diving for cheap.

Not really interested in what the world at large does, or thinks.
So just curious why you'd come here and ask us what we do or think?

2. Where is the best solo BUDGET shore diving on the planet?
Depends on where you live.

Some of the best, cheapest and solo friendly diving is in South Florida, over 20 miles of reef from Hollywood to Boca, all swimming distance from shore with second reef lines still swimming distance and if you have a scooter, you can dive wrecks. Lots of cheap parking. In Ft Lauderdale, when lifeguards are posted, technically, the city does not allow solo diving. Never seen it enforced and there are miles of unregulated beaches.

Accommodations, everything from 5 star resorts to cheap Airbnb's. dive shops just about every mile along the coast, some catering specifically to beach diving. And you can drink the water.

And if the weather turns and its too rough, Blue Heron bridge or bridges in the Keys are always an option.

So just curious why you'd come here and ask us what we do or think?
'Cause this subforum is where the solo divers hang out. And the experiences and wisdom they've acquired can be useful, both to myself and others like-minded.

I also recognize that solo diving is the black arts of scuba diving. I've read the posts. Just not interested in rehashing any of that. 2 simple questions, answered, if you please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom