Continuing solo adventures - My solo adventure for today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am continuing to work on my buoyancy, which means I need to put the time in the water. Since my last post, I've gained confidence to dive further from shore, to other "wrecks". I am still diving no deeper than 20ft, so that in case of an emergency, I can safely CESA.

Also in order to save air and to practice using the oral inflation tube, whenever I surface, I don't hit the inflate button, I inflate my BCD orally.

The school bus "wreck" has buoyancy objects to swim through. Out of 10 attempts, I was able to successfully swim through 5 of them without hitting the sides. I'm looking forward to improving this 50% average but at least it's a great start. I've also swam parallel to the bus windows and use my lungs to move up or down. While I am happy with my progress I still have more work to do.

After a few dives, I determined that I have enough air left to complete two more dives. I decided to shoot an azimuth to the next buoy and swim at depth to it. There are also lines that I can follow. So I shot an azimuth to the buoy and submerged. As I was following the line it reached a junction point. I didn't realize it at the time but I took the wrong junction point. The lake that I am diving in has poor viz so you can't pick out an object in front of you as a reference. After so many kick cycles, I determined it was time to surface to see where I was at. As I surfaced I was dismayed that I went further out into the lake. Lesson learned,......TRUST the compass!!! I reassess and shoot another azimuth to the buoy that I can barely make out. I triple check it and away I go! So this time I am solely relying on my compass as there are no lines to follow and viz as I mentioned was very low. I also focused on my flutter kicks as I have been working those so I can be more efficient and glide better. I was so focused on my compass that I decided to use time as an indicator to surface. So after 5-7 minutes, I surface and to my joy there was the blue bouy about 20ft in front of me! I dove back down and continued on my heading, I didn't know it but I passed the wreck and surfaced about 7-10 feet away, closer to the shore line. I was elated, I trusted the heading on this second dive. Goes to show putting in the work, really helps out, I was calm, reassessed and eventually made it. To get one more practice in, I shot an azimuth to my exit point and finished out my dive for the day! I still need to work my compass skills but I am still elated that I was able to use my training to get out of a jam!

Magnificent, despite this contradiction in terms

I can safely CESA

I know my gear and will dive within my air limits

Magnificent, despite this contradiction in terms

I know my gear and will dive within my air limits
You sir are 100% correct and trust me I know my gear and limits. I was trying to convey a worst case scenario. Pilots do the same, running out of fuel is very rare but they still train for it.

I know that at 20ft if a freeflow develops. I can safely make it to the surface without doing a CESA. I still practice CESA from time to time as I think it's good to be prepared. I haven't posted yet about my dive I did today but as I was surfacing I thought what if a fish or diver or something knocked my regulator out my mouth. So at about 15ft I attempted to simulate that scenario and I spit out my regulator and began to blow bubbles while at the same time retrieving my regulator. I did that without exceeding the ascent rate or holding my breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom