Suggestions for Quick Keys Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be down in Florida just long enough to fit in a couple of dives this Sunday afternoon and was looking for a recommendation.

I've done Open Water, Advanced, Nitrox, Search and Recovery and Rescue diver (all in Sydney, Australia), have just over 30 dives, last dived about 2 months ago but have a completely new set of kit (new 5mm wetsuit, Halcyon BP/W, dive computer and DIR style octopus) so I'd like to do something memorable but not too challenging as I'll need some time to get used to BP/W instead of BCD, the strange octopus setup, get weighting right with the new kit, etc.

Any recommendations for dive sites and/or trips? Any thoughts suggestions much appreciated. Some place where my non-diving GF (she promises to learn next time :->) could hang out would be a bonus . . . I'd be looking to do an afternoon 2 dive trip so I could go out 12/1 and be back 3-5 and still drive back to Miami that evening.

Thanks for both the recommendations and the forecast. Any rules of thumb for what kind of seas/winds the dive boats will go out in or for any places that are more sheltered/better in choppy seas? (Or should I forget it and just enjoy the views from land this time?!)

Ocean Divers has big boats and goes out in seas that others will not.

Cheers.

-J.-

Ocean Divers has big boats and goes out in seas that others will not.

Cheers.

-J.-

Not today they didnt. We stayed out and they came back in:wink:

Actually, none of us go out when it is dangerous. We will sometimes make the call depending on what level of diver we have booked that particular day.

I doubt any trips will be running tomorrow :(

Thanks for both the recommendations and the forecast. Any rules of thumb for what kind of seas/winds the dive boats will go out in or for any places that are more sheltered/better in choppy seas? (Or should I forget it and just enjoy the views from land this time?!)

Hi Peter,

The rule of thumb is to have a closer look once the winds exceed 20 knots (ish) out of the East which usually means 6ft plus seas. Also, we look at the speed of the gusts, for example 20 gusting to 22, OK - 20 gusting to 25 not OK!

Sunday should be better than Saturday but still rough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom