Thermocline hits NE Fla.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Was out last week and the water dropped from 60 to 64 previously on the bottom to 52 to 58 depending on where we were.Surface temp was 69.Depths from 120' to 165'.Normally we'd expect 70 or better on the bottom this far out.

The surface was brown even 60 miles out but vis wasn't as bad as you'd think as long as the sun was out.

Saw few fish but some cool ones including a nose to nose with a baby(6')sandtiger and dozens of lionfish.

Tony,

Three weeks ago it was in the low 50's on the RBJ and low 60's on the Hydro Atlantic while surface temps were 73-74 for both wrecks. The good thing is that it only lasted a few days and went back to where ever it came from.

While not that uncommon in the summer locally, it's the first time I've seen the phenomena occur during the winter.

Tony,

Three weeks ago it was in the low 50's on the RBJ and low 60's on the Hydro Atlantic while surface temps were 73-74 for both wrecks. The good thing is that it only lasted a few days and went back to where ever it came from.

While not that uncommon in the summer locally, it's the first time I've seen the phenomena occur during the winter.

From what I understand about it, it can happen if there's a frontal eddy from the deep current and a west blow. It happens more easily durring the summer because the top layer is less dense (it's warmer).
It was kinda chilly today... I didn't check, but it felt like about 70º.

It was after that hard SE blow we had on Tuesday.The current more than doubled inshore from the Southeast and brought this mess in with it.Hopefully it will have faded in another week as I have plans to be offshore mid next week.

Lionfish are almost oblivious of interaction.If you push them away they move right back to where they were.Occasionally they will scatter when I lobster near them.

Waiting for the state to put a bounty on them.I got stung last summer stringing up a gag in a siltstorm of thrashing gag,wrestling Tony and hidden lionfish.

Attachments

• Lionfish2.jpg
    Lionfish2.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 43
Hey, another 10° drop, and you can maybe get some more great whites like they had a few years ago off Jax and St. Augustine. If you're shooting and you see something like a greyish wall sliding in the back of the murk, that's a good time to drop the amberjacks and start going home.
If you can do a safety stop with a big guy in the vicinity, you're a way better man than I am. I always figured that I'd be better off twitching for a few days in a steel drum than trying to regenerate limbs.

Already here Tom,already seen underwater by 2 guys I know.Seen above water with pix taken within 2 miles of where I was diving that day.We do deco in 10' surface vis during the winter and every shadow is exciting.

Safer in the water in Jax than driving or out at night:11:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom