Trip Report Trip Report: Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman, Aug 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not the Ritz. But comfortable, clean, with good food and superb diving service.

Perhaps most important, the staff on both the hotel and diving sides are extremely responsive to input.

@rsingler here is a recent news story involving Cobalt Coast that might be of minor interest. A serial burglar and addict hit the bar twice over 4 days to steal a total $185 CI in bar supplies to try and exchange for drugs. He has a long list of minor offenses and was out on a suspended sentence at the time of the robbery. The judge gave him a sentence of 2.5 years in prison, more to protect society from him than in the hope that he will rehabilitate himself. It's very sad, he probably knew that they had security cameras at the bar but he was driven by his addiction, but it's about time that he does some real jail time with his record IMO; I hope he gets some help while he's away.

Serial burglar jailed for 2½ years for bar break-in - Cayman Islands Headline News

Whoa! Sad to hear. CCGC is out on the NW corner of the island with, as noted above, not a lot of entertainment/distractions/ways to make a getaway. So I guess it's not surprising that a wandering dumba** would get caught. The bar area is just part of the open ground floor access to the pool/pier/beach, and wandering all the way in from the street unnoticed is impossible when there is anyone about (e.g., before midnight). Can't say I ever felt threatened, either there or in town. I'm guessing this guy would have stood out as not belonging if he'd tried it when folks were active. And getting picked off a camera recording is pretty Darwininan, lol!

Whoa! Sad to hear. CCGC is out on the NW corner of the island with, as noted above, not a lot of entertainment/distractions/ways to make a getaway. So I guess it's not surprising that a wandering dumba** would get caught. The bar area is just part of the open ground floor access to the pool/pier/beach, and wandering all the way in from the street unnoticed is impossible when there is anyone about (e.g., before midnight). Can't say I ever felt threatened, either there or in town. I'm guessing this guy would have stood out as not belonging if he'd tried it when folks were active. And getting picked off a camera recording is pretty Darwininan, lol!

He might have snuck in on a small boat. I'm just guessing that they saw him on security cameras because they knew he was the person that robbed them twice over a 4 day period, and I would think that they would have cameras since they store expensive dive gear and equipment on the property.

I also feel safe in the Caymans, no place on Earth is entirely safe - including my own back yard - but if you use common sense and normal precautions in Cayman, the chances that you will be safe are good IMO.

That whole part of the island is pretty laid back. A hundred tanks sitting out on the dock. A couple of dozen wetsuits drying overnight.
But locked lockers for any gear you don't keep in your room for valet loading on the dive boat in the morning, and of course the dive store is locked at night.
Still wouldn't hesitate to go back. Thanks for the heads up, Kathy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom