Just got to dive with Spinner sharks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanLVolker

Reaction score
Yesterday 3 friends and I were freediving in about 12 feet of water , on a shallow reef system about 2 miles south of Breakers reef, a place local fisherman go for Spanish Mackeral--this less than 100 yards off the beach.
We had been in the water about 8 minutes, when the spinners came up on us. I was cruising about 8 feet down, and saw silver behind and to my right( ocean side). Innititally, I thought I was seeing about ten dolphins, due to the high speed they were traveling at, and even more so, because they were litterally in ultra tight formation--almost touching each other.
After a tripple take, as they came within about ten feet of us, there was no doubt that they were spinner sharks--fat ones, around 6 feet long. They moved much faster than the blacktips or bulls we encounter, and the whole pack hunting formation was wild!
Anyway, they curved around in front of us, toward the beach, then were off behind us to the south. The guy driving our boat actually saw these sharks from the surface, about 2 minutes later...
What we understand now, is that this area in hot for local fisherman, and that these spinners are here very freqeuntly. I also found out that the beaches had been closed yesterday, due to large schools of spinner sharks, ie., spinners are not particulalry good for swimmers or surfers :)
Normally, we don't get to see spinners on the scuba reefs, so this was a pretty hot dive for us.

What a great experience you got to have! I am headed down that way at the end of the month so hopefully I will get lucky! BTW there have been no recorded attacks by spinner sharks, but they have been known to bother divers when they spearfish.
Spinner Shark, Carcharhinus brevipinna at MarineBio.org

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

How cool was that ... thanks for posting :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom