Key's Trip, Need a little advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlynch21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning a trip to the keys for a funfilled week of diving and whatever else we get ourselves into; however, i am having a difficult time deciding where... upper or lower keys?

There will be four of us diving off of my 16 ft rib (2 novices). While it has decent range, i would like to choose appropriate reefs to suit the boat and novice divers... nothing past 60 ft.

I guess i want to chose where we stay based on the diving locations... so what area of the keys will cater to our diving needs? upper or lower? Also maybe you guys could make some suggestions as to the specific reefs we should hit... it has been several years but i remember penecamps shore dive and molasses reef being two good ones for novices.

Thanks in advance!!!
Matt

I don't live in the Keys, but I've been diving them for several years. I suggest you do your diving in the Upper Keys. Plenty of shallow and mid-range reefs to visit, and if the higher-skilled divers want to go out with a dive shop to do a wreck, there are a few of them too. If you dive around Islamorada, look into staying at the Ragged Edge Resort. It's a great little quiet place. We stay there every time we visit. You can put your RIB in the water right there and use their protected dock for tie-up.

I don't live in the Keys, but I've been diving them for several years. I suggest you do your diving in the Upper Keys. Plenty of shallow and mid-range reefs to visit, and if the higher-skilled divers want to go out with a dive shop to do a wreck, there are a few of them too. If you dive around Islamorada, look into staying at the Ragged Edge Resort. It's a great little quiet place. We stay there every time we visit. You can put your RIB in the water right there and use their protected dock for tie-up.

Weaponeer... Thanks a lot for the reply! I will start looking into Ragged Edge Resort.

any other opinions? :popcorn:

I've made several trips to the upper keys to dive and in fact will be in Key Largo for one week this June. Diving out of Islamorada is great, but if you want a wider choice of shallow reefs with minimum travel between reefs you'll find that in Key Largo. I actually dive both Islamorada and Key Largo but always with an op. I suggest Key Largo simply because you have your own boat. For example, you can stay at Marina del Mar resort (it's in the marina) and actually tie your boat off to the dock right below your balcony. I don't know what the fee is, but Marina del Mar's rates at really reasonable. Also, a little bit more in the way of options for restaurants and nightlife right there along the marina canal, all of which you can walk to. We stay at Marina del Mar and the only time we even get into the car is if we need food supplies for the kitchen. I'm embarrassed to say the supermarket is only a couple of blocks away on Hwy 1.

For a place to stay, pm Speargirl on the board. She has a couple of condos in Key Largo and a campground in Marathon at very reasonable rates.

As for diving, I prefer the upper Keys. Better reefs and better wrecks.

For a place to stay, pm Speargirl on the board. She has a couple of condos in Key Largo and a campground in Marathon at very reasonable rates.

As for diving, I prefer the upper Keys. Better reefs and better wrecks.

Thats good advice... i did

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom