Question Bucket list shore based dive locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BentSeaRod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings all,
I want to set some dive goals for later 2024. I'm aware of the major bucket list destinations like Raja, Komodo, Tubbataha, etc., however we are not at that point in life where live aboard trips are financially feasible for us. What are some bucket list dive destinations that are land based?

We went to Puerto Galera last year and had a great time. That was nice for us, lots of diving and decent local food options with a low key resort (i.e. not some fancy all inclusive place). Would love to try something new along those lines. As far as type of diving: reef, wall, and macro mostly. Wrecks are good, but I dont seek them out, same with pelagics.

Any suggestions?

Might help if we had some idea of where you have been.

But just to hijack your thread, where did you stay in Puerto Galera. What was your overall impression vs. the usual Caribbean suspects.

We stayed at El Galleon in PG. Liked the resort and dive shop was good to us. I thought the diving was good overall, we didn't have great conditions (low vis, cloudy, rain), so it didn't blow me away but we really enjoyed the diversity vs carib. Lots of things to see that we dont have back home. It did feel a bit busy to me and more trash in the water that I would have liked to see. Verde Island on a good day did blow me away though.

The bulk of my diving to date is in Coz. Have dove Utila, Grenada, Colombia as well. Of those Grenada was the best, but not near the #'s of fish vs PH.

Edit: We thought PH in general was a cool country to visit. Would happily go back. Open to Indo and beyond though. No interest in Thailand or Malaysia.

Closer to home and to shore, if you haven't done them yet, Bonaire and Curacao. I prefer shore diving, no schedule, no limits other than NDL :wink:. Per dive price is hard to beat on either island, but Bonaire has the edge because of the unlimited sure packages.

Greetings all,
I want to set some dive goals for later 2024. I'm aware of the major bucket list destinations like Raja, Komodo, Tubbataha, etc., however we are not at that point in life where live aboard trips are financially feasible for us. What are some bucket list dive destinations that are land based?

We went to Puerto Galera last year and had a great time. That was nice for us, lots of diving and decent local food options with a low key resort (i.e. not some fancy all inclusive place). Would love to try something new along those lines. As far as type of diving: reef, wall, and macro mostly. Wrecks are good, but I dont seek them out, same with pelagics.

Any suggestions?

Don't count Raja or Komodo out. Indonesia is a very budget friendly country and diving is relatively cheep comparted to western prices. You will find that both Raja and Komodo have a very huge budget backpacker scene. My #1 vote would actually be Raja Ampat.

I can tell you right now that #1 place in my opinion for shore based diving would be Kri Island in Raja Ampat. I have done both livebaords and land based diving in Raja and lived in Indonesia for many years. And I really can not tell what is better in Raja livaboard diving or land base because both have there perks so that should give you an idea of how good the land based diving is. I know some people say Kri is overrated but I just absolutely love it!!

My vote would be for Kri. Super low key island life, very local, not fancy at all, very basic relaxing island life. I just love it. But just and FYI this is true budget backpacker style living.

The homestay I usually stay at she charges me IDR 500k (USD $32) per night with 3 local meals a day. That's me sitting over the water flying my drone
1702935700208.png

Just around the corner maybe 5min walk is a very nice locally (I'm all about supporting the local dive centers) operated dive center. USD $32 per dive.

1702935817824.png

As far as budget friendly goes and incredible diving you really can not beat that. Seriously where in the world can you dive one of the healthiest reefs in the world with some of the most marine bio diversity for $32 and get a roof over your head with 3 meals and day for another $32.

And honestly the reefs are soooooooo healthy around the island you will just spend most of your day swimming out of your bungalow and snorkeling for free.

Oh yeah and for those wondering I was just there last month so yes these prices are very current.

Edit: We thought PH in general was a cool country to visit. Would happily go back. Open to Indo and beyond though. No interest in Thailand or Malaysia.
There are other places in Philippines offering great diving but I believe you ought to go somewhere else.

You will enjoy R4 especially staying with them:

Island hoping is readily available.

Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe in Thailand are very good.
East coast of Peninsular Malaysia: If you come in from Singapore then you can work your way up to Tioman, Tenggol, Redang and Perhentian Islands. Local bus and ferry only.

Sweet. I didnt realize there were so many shoe based options for Raja. Now Im getting somewhere!

Closer to home and to shore, if you haven't done them yet, Bonaire and Curacao. I prefer shore diving, no schedule, no limits other than NDL :wink:. Per dive price is hard to beat on either island, but Bonaire has the edge because of the unlimited sure packages.
Bonaire is on my list, though since our move to a more rural part of interior america the connections to the carribean are a PITA now. Coz/Cancun is really the only place we can get to in a reasonable amount of time.

There are other places in Philippines offering great diving but I believe you ought to go somewhere else.

You will enjoy R4 especially staying with them:

Island hoping is readily available.

Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe in Thailand are very good.
East coast of Peninsular Malaysia: If you come in from Singapore then you can work your way up to Tioman, Tenggol, Redang and Perhentian Islands. Local bus and ferry only.

I did dive in the Perhentians once, but I was pretty hungover and cant recall one thing about the dive. I planned to dive in Koh Phi Phi but dislocated my shoulder cliff jumping the day before, so had to cancel. Oh to be young(er) and (really) dumb again!

Don't count Raja or Komodo out. Indonesia is a very budget friendly country and diving is relatively cheep comparted to western prices. You will find that both Raja and Komodo have a very huge budget backpacker scene. My #1 vote would actually be Raja Ampat.

I can tell you right now that #1 place in my opinion for shore based diving would be Kri Island in Raja Ampat. I have done both livebaords and land based diving in Raja and lived in Indonesia for many years. And I really can not tell what is better in Raja livaboard diving or land base because both have there perks so that should give you an idea of how good the land based diving is. I know some people say Kri is overrated but I just absolutely love it!!

My vote would be for Kri. Super low key island life, very local, not fancy at all, very basic relaxing island life. I just love it. But just and FYI this is true budget backpacker style living.

The homestay I usually stay at she charges me IDR 500k (USD $32) per night with 3 local meals a day. That's me sitting over the water flying my drone
View attachment 816339

Just around the corner maybe 5min walk is a very nice locally (I'm all about supporting the local dive centers) operated dive center. USD $32 per dive.

View attachment 816340

As far as budget friendly goes and incredible diving you really can not beat that. Seriously where in the world can you dive one of the healthiest reefs in the world with some of the most marine bio diversity for $32 and get a roof over your head with 3 meals and day for another $32.

And honestly the reefs are soooooooo healthy around the island you will just spend most of your day swimming out of your bungalow and snorkeling for free.

Oh yeah and for those wondering I was just there last month so yes these prices are very current.
Thanks for sharing. Which Homestay did you use?
Is it possible to contact the dive center? Did a google search, but couldn’t find a web page.

Have you been in February or April? Any (many?) mosquitos around at that time of year?

Back
Top Bottom