Diving in the Panama City area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferretchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
I'll be in P.C. on business for a week next month (May) and am wondernig what the opportunities are. I know that the oriskany is "nearby" - if 70 NM is nearby - but how about short boat trips, or beach diving? Any local info or advice would be appreciated.

--Dan

all the Oriskany trips run out of P'cola or orange beach. too far of a boat run from PCB to make it worthwhile. P'cola is about a 2 hour drive west if you want to hit the Oriskany for a dive.

There are several dive operators that run out of PCB though to local wrecks.

most all the wrecks are good. if you're going to dive multiple days, ask what the schedule is because the operators have a tendency of going to the same wrecks over and over again (Black Bart and Bridge Span #14). which aren't bad wrecks, you just don't want to see them over and over again each day.

beach diving is done at St Andrews Jetties (in state park) in the main pass/channel at "high tide". It's pretty decent.

I'll be down in Mid May if you want to dive.

plenty of other folks here also that dive that area you could hook up with.

The Grey Ghost is an awesome dive. It is a tugboat that sits on rock bottom which is rare here. The problems is there is not a lot of boats running to it because it is about 1 ½ hr out, so you would have to ask around and find out who is going or wants to go out that way. I know the Dive Locker (Dive Locker - Panama City Beach Florida Dive Store featuring Henderson Wet Suits and Brownie's Hookah Systems, Panama City Beach Florida Dive Charters, Florida Scuba Information, PADI) does trips out to it.

The Hovercraft and the Lost Pontoon are also good dives spots.

As far as finding some one to dive with....Go talk to the local shops. Like myself, there are several of us local divers who hang around the shops, jumping the boats at the last minute when they are heading out to our favorite spots.

Another option is heading north and northwest. There are quite a few fresh water springs in the area that are worthwhile. Let me know the dates you'll be here and I may be able to dive with you.

The Grey Ghost is an awesome dive. It is a tugboat that sits on rock bottom which is rare here. The problems is there is not a lot of boats running to it because it is about 1 ½ hr out, so you would have to ask around and find out who is going or wants to go out that way. I know the Dive Locker (Dive Locker - Panama City Beach Florida Dive Store featuring Henderson Wet Suits and Brownie's Hookah Systems, Panama City Beach Florida Dive Charters, Florida Scuba Information, PADI) does trips out to it.

The Hovercraft and the Lost Pontoon are also good dives spots.

As far as finding some one to dive with....Go talk to the local shops. Like myself, there are several of us local divers who hang around the shops, jumping the boats at the last minute when they are heading out to our favorite spots.
I concur.

If you want to avoid the same spots over and again it has alot more to do with the Captain driving the boat than anything a person in the shop tells you, as they aren't running the boat. This is the biggest problem with dive shops in the area, poor communication across the spectrum of their operations. I say that based on my experience working for the Dive Locker as a Captain and my interactions with the rest of the boat Captains from the other shops, we talk on the radio while you guys are diving and often before hand to make sure there aren't going to be 100 divers on a site.

Dive Locker and Panama City Dive Center have cattle boats that they have no problem taking you to the same spots over again. The Dive Locker also has some 6 pack operations and Iwould try tp book on those before the cattle boat if you have dove the "popular" stuff already. Then their are us independent Captains like myself, Better Bottom Time and Downtime charters. Frankly we are independent because of all the shenanigans at the shops and don't like things falling between the cracks between the person taking a phone call and the charter. If you need to rent gear you will need to rent from a shop and book with us seperately, less convenient for the customer but we more interaction with them and hopefully deliver better service.

When I travel out of town and take a charter I ask how often the Captain dives, and where he would go if it were his day off. 6 packs offer that level of flexibility where as a cattle boat especially if it has students, will default to the same places over and again. There are only so many wrecks "inshore" for 20 people to dive on at the same time.

If you want to avoid the same spots over and again it has alot more to do with the Captain driving the boat than anything a person in the shop tells you, as they aren't running the boat. This is the biggest problem with dive shops in the area, poor communication across the spectrum of their operations. I say that based on my experience working for the Dive Locker as a Captain and my interactions with the rest of the boat Captains from the other shops, we talk on the radio while you guys are diving and often before hand to make sure there aren't going to be 100 divers on a site.

Dive Locker and Panama City Dive Center have cattle boats that they have no problem taking you to the same spots over again. The Dive Locker also has some 6 pack operations and Iwould try tp book on those before the cattle boat if you have dove the "popular" stuff already. Then their are us independent Captains like myself, Better Bottom Time and Downtime charters. Frankly we are independent because of all the shenanigans at the shops and don't like things falling between the cracks between the person taking a phone call and the charter. If you need to rent gear you will need to rent from a shop and book with us seperately, less convenient for the customer but we more interaction with them and hopefully deliver better service.

When I travel out of town and take a charter I ask how often the Captain dives, and where he would go if it were his day off. 6 packs offer that level of flexibility where as a cattle boat especially if it has students, will default to the same places over and again. There are only so many wrecks "inshore" for 20 people to dive on at the same time.
And to be fair, whenever Ive dove the Dive Locker cattle boat (12 is not a cattle boat in the keys), theyve asked where you want to go. Usually no one pipes up, which means they go to the most popular spots. I didnt know you were running your boat now though, Pat. Count me in sometime! In fact, you ever need to fill a spot, put me on the mailing list. Youre an awsome capt.

Will do Jon, you and your students were always great customers to have along. I am trying to just get the word out right now about my fledgling service, when I get my inspected vessel in the fall I too will be in the cattle boat business (not by your definition though)... but I plan on running the whole show myself so that everyone stays happy. Keeping the boat under its rated capacity is a big part of that, no one like to feel like just another $.

Either a 36' Newton with a 100 mile exposed route or an Island Hopper with same. Basically I am also going to run the boat as a hydrographic survey vessel as contracts come up. If I can get enough interest ahead of time I will go with the Newton (a tougher nut to crack, interest wise) which will give me more passengers when under charter. A few of the clubs I have gotten to know need >12. I have to make a decision shortly though, but there are still some experts in the field, and possible clients, I haven't been able to consult with yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom