Georgia Tornado Season?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I have only lived in Georgia for a short while, and we are shocked to see the number of tornadoes that have hit close to us.

Is this typical each year, or do the greenies say it's due to global warming?

Dorothy we're not in Kansas anymore???:coffee:

Actually, like many parts of the country, there are bad seasons and good seasons. It's just lately we have had some close calls. I have already woken up to the tornado sirens 2x this year in Savannah. Both times it was during the day after I had gotten off night shift! But luckily they passed over. Now the next thing to worry about is hurricaine season. Hopefully Georgia will keep up with it's record of being missed!

Just remember tho, since this is the season for bad weather, have your emergency plan ready, flashlights, weather radio, 3 days of food/water, and make sure all the batteries work!

Be safe!
Carolyn:sharks:

PS it isn't "global warming" actually we are down 1 whole degree from 10 yrs ago. This planet is always in chaos and is cyclic in nature. Conditions are just right for alot of cataclysmic events this year.

Last edited:
It's pretty common in GA....I lived there all of my life until the last 4 months. It seemed like we had a couple every year. High Falls Park is a beautiful area.

Totally normal for this time of year. We get pretty bad storms from time to time during April - September. The worst seem to occur when the major fronts are coming through in the spring. We do get some pretty powerful storms from time to time in the summer.

My wife and I were in Macon early Sunday morning to finish the confined water part of our ow cert. I don't know if you have been to the Diver-Supply shop in Macon yet. They have a large sign out front, maybe 40 feet high. If possession is nine-tenths of the law, it now belongs to the guy who parked his car below it Saturday night... cause it was in his back seat Sunday morning. Apparently there was a little wind the night before. Sunday morning all the electricity was out to that area. We opened the door to the indoor pool to allow enough light to finish the pool course. Our dive Instructor was on a mission. He was great! Welcome to the neighborhood. We're just down the road in Barnesville.

Mark

Been in Ga for 33 years. Guess I've gotten to where I expect them and when these type of storms don't come I get the feeling that something is wrong. Granted I have lived in middle GA for about 13 years, but it does seem that the twisters are occurring more often. It's a good thing you're looking to move to FL. You'll then have to be concerned with hurricanes.

It seems like I remember a lot of tornado activity in GA the last 10 years that I've been here but more this year than most. I work at an aircraft manufacturer and when we have tornado warnings and severe lightning there are necessary precautions we must take with the jets and personnel to protect them....just like when a hurricane is inbound, we patch up all the jets that are flyable and get them out of here, and it seems like we're doing that more this year than in the past. Dunno, maybe it's perception. Like Carolyn mentioned though, keep yourself prepared....Batteries, propane, medications....you'll be fine.

-Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom