Dive Report 6/14: Pinthis Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckedinri

Contributor
Reaction score
Tiny state in the northeast corner of the U. S. of
# of dives
Near mirror calm sea conditions greeted us as Chris M., Harry D., and I left Marshfield's Green Harbor and set out for the Pinthis. As anticipated, we found a mooring buoy that Capt. Fran of the Daybreaker thoughtfully left last week. Once hooked up, Harry and Chris suited up and hit the water. That left me with plenty of time to casually get my act together and chill out while waiting their return. Harry was the first back aboard with a report of decent visibility and chilly temps in the low 40's, which is typically expected for this site. I rolled in after getting them both back aboard and was immediately thankful for the cooling effect that Mass Bay's chilly water has on an overheated drysuit diver. Descending the near vertical mooring line the wreck came into view at about 70 fsw. I settled onto the bottom where we were tied in on the bow. The mooring was affixed to the half buried anchor at the former starboard bow of the wreck, now a jumbled mess of dis-articulated steel beams and hull plating. I had nearly 20 feet of vis and set out to circumnavigate this turtled oil tanker resting on the gravel and boulder strewn bottom. While enjoying the company of schools of small codfish and the numerous cunner, I periodically stopped to cut away floating former mooring lines and gather lead sinkers lost by unfortunate fishermen. The winter seems to have not been too tough on the ole girl as she appeared to be in nearly the same condition as when we left her last year. With her holds now nearly wide open with missing hull plates and her stern beaten to nearly the level of the sea bed, she is a much different dive today than when we had to crawl under the starboard rail to gain access to the interior. Arguably, it is a safer dive nowadays. With my BT just getting me into deco I decided to head up as I knew we were doing two dives on this site today so I would be back in a couple of hours. Once back on the boat we enjoyed a leisurely SI while sharing this dive's, as well as past experiences and snacking on sandwiches. Harry sat out the second dive so Chris and I hit the water again to experience another enjoyable foray exploring the bones of the Pinthis.

pinthiskeel.jpg

pinthisdive62008.jpg

Last edited:
I was a great day out there and Dennis summed it up nicely.

Big thanks to Dennis and Harry for having me along.

Could anyone supply me with accurate GPS coordinates for the Pinthis. I went out last year looking for a marking buoy but it wasn't there. We went to the only GPS points we had, dove to 100ft or so but couldn't find it.
Not much to see if you can't see the wreck!
Thanks very much

Here you go:
42 09.362 N 70 33.660 W

No problem.

FYI, those numbers came from Gary Gentile's Shipwrecks of Massachusetts: North book. His numbers are usually pretty accurate.

They are (accurate). They came out of my machine, and that's what I used to get us on the wreck when you and I dived her:wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom