Lost a mask at ABWA on Sunday, June 22nd...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamamedic

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere between "hold my beer and watch this!" a
# of dives
200 - 499
If anyone happens to run across it...I miss it very much and would love to have it back. It was a gift from Mr. Bamamedic....

I managed to drop it while on the surface....in 120 ft of water. Grrrrrr! :(

I dropped it while about 25 feet from the rock wall that's across from the main platforms...If anyone just happens by that area, if you could keep an eye out for it, I'd be incredibly grateful. I know the odds of someone running across it are pretty high, though.

It was a black skirted Atomic frameless....

Thank you so much!!!

Ouch...sorry for your loss. I'm gonna try and dive there this weekend but 120 is out of my league.

I hope someone takes this on as a challenge though and you get it back.

Beck

Ouch...........You must have pulled some of my black clouds over to your bank. Sunday when I was washing dive gear and giving the scooter a tub dive, I managed to break a clutch. Nothing major, but 40 bucks I didn't have to spend hurt.

Obviously your dive was over unless you had a spare in your bag......Did you get any good dives in before?

Ken

Sounds like about the same place where I dropped mine a while back. ABWA trianagle? :D

Goodluck gettin it back! Did you let the staff know?

bigken462, Guess I thought you needed a break from your black cloud LOL. I read about your clutch on the Yahoo SE group. Ouch!

Yup, I've got a spare (I've actually got two spare masks...one for my small face and one for a larger buddy) but (and I know this sounds silly) I have a general rule that if enough things go wrong, I'm done diving for the day (some days just seem unlucky!), and if I have to start using my spare gear, I generally reevaluate whether I need to be diving that day.

It was just one of those days...my buddy was trying out his new BP/W (I have a tendency to turn my buddies over to the dark side LOL) so it was more of a shakedown dive day, anyways. First, our dive plan was incredibly unorganized, to the point where I wish I brought a slate to write, "Where the hell are you going?" on it! Then, my buddy had a moment where he started to get really uneasy and had to grab my arm for a min (he's used to diving a FFM and some cold water got up his nose while wearing a standard mask). Thirdly, we got kinda lost, I guess, and wound up next to the wall (I truly don't know where we were trying to go, but he said he got lost). Finally, I lost my mask while on the surface (idiot me had it hooked around my wrist, and it slipped off while adjusting a hose). My buddy suggested that I bounce dive to go get it, and offered me his mask to use, but I only had about 1500 psi left and didn't feel it was a good idea to solo bounce dive on 1500 psi. We were supposed to go on a third dive, but at that point, I was kinda frustrated with the whole situation and told him that I was done for the day...

I *might* dive to try and find it on Wednesday...

Fish Food, I think you're right! It's the ABWA triangle of doom... :D LOL

divebomb, I really hope that someone takes it as a challenge and finds my mask...I'll even offer to buy dinner for the finder :D

The only way I would have attempted it would be on a full cylinder and even then let your partner hold the other end of a dive reel so you can keep tabs on where you are at. However at that depth, I’m not sure even with doing that it would help too much, but certainly for sure better than not having no reel at all. Even then this would be controversial for some.
Your decision to call the dive may have proved to be a good decision. Let’s take another look why:
Knowing your stature and small frame, on a good day I would assume your SAC rate is next to nothing as you have done proved that to me however now you just task loaded yourself with multiple issues which will increase your SAC rate quite a bit.
1. Solo diving – how comfortable are you at doing this?
2. Solo diving in a dark, cold, limited vis environment.
3. Using another buddy’s mask which may not conform to your facial features as needed for a safe dive.
4. Familiarization with how to do a search pattern with limited vis
5. Tired, stressed etc from having previously done two dives, not to mention nitrogen loading from those dives.
Since you were diving with your Alu 80’s you have a tank baseline of 2.67 cubic feet of gas per 100 PSI. (IIRC so check my math) You mentioned 1500 remaining PSI of gas which would have given you just over 40 cubic feet (but you already knew that since it’s half your supply right?)
Not knowing your previous profile, I cant plug those numbers in to see what your deco obligations would be (in your case safety stops) however even had this been your first dive you with a guessing SAC of 0.7 you would need around 44-45cfg. Below is the profile with a 10 minute BT.
Depth Time O2 He PPO2 Ceil 120 10 21 0 0.98 40 Size Rated Fill O2 He MOD Res Cu Ft 80 3000 3000 21 0 187.00 0 44 Depth Time O2 He Start End PPO2 Gas Gas Reqd GF% MVal% CNS% OTU 120 10 21 0 1 10 0.98 0.70 40 0 15 3 8.41 40 1 21 0 12 13 0.47 0.70 1 20 54 4 9.59 30 1 21 0 13 14 0.40 0.70 1 52 59 4 9.59 20 1 21 0 14 15 0.34 0.70 1 69 65 4 9.59 10 1 21 0 15 16 0.28 0.70 1 85 72 4 9.59 0 17 85 82 4 9.59
So, long story short; good decision on your part for sticking to your gut instinct. It’s only expected that everyone donate something to the quarry at some point in their diving career. I have a snorkel somewhere along the bottom – what better place for it!
Safe diving.

Kenny

P.S. The forum program seems to wrap the text......In this case the profile is all gibberish. Sorry:confused:

divebomb, I really hope that someone takes it as a challenge and finds my mask...I'll even offer to buy dinner for the finder :D

Wait.....there's food involved. I might possibly risk it then!

:D

Beck

Dinner? I have about 160cf left in my doubles. Not sure if I can get away, pretty sure I am working Saturday and not sure about Sunday but that might be a fun challenge, no dinner necessary. I need to drain then anyway before I head back to Jackson Blue. I wiil see if i can get away and if one of my buddies are free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom