Scubapro Uwatec Galileo Sol transmitter errors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I purchased a Scubapro Uwatec Galileo Sol about 3 months ago. The problem i'm having with it is continuious transmitter errors. During dives it loses all wireless trasmissions i.e. tank pressure and polar heart rate belt. Depth reading seems okay.

I've taken it back to Scubapro South Africa and they tried it in a pool at 3m :confused: and have assured me it's okay.

Subsequently after this, I have done 2 solo dives with no other electronics that could effect transmission. On the last dive I lost transmission about 10 times(in 13 min; max. depth 15m{about 50 feet}).

I've own multiple Uwatec computers i.e Air X Nitrox and have never had this problem before(I've use Uwatec computers for over 10 years).

Has any one else had this problem? Any ideas what could be causing this? Have I bought an over-priced wrist band as I don't trust the readings at all? I now relay on mechanical gauges for any certainty.

Safe Diving,
Phil

I had some reservations about the hoseless interface when I got my galileo, 10 years ago I hade a 1st generation hoseless (dacor) that dropped signal more often than it read. I've now had my galileo for 6 months, over 50 dives, and have had a single signal loss incident of less than 1 minute duration. Your experience is not universal, but intermittent electronics problems are very tough to diagnose.

The tank transmission and heart-rate belt are seprate
systems. It's very strange that you loose both...do you understand
how the system works?

How you mounted all gear properly?
Do you dive with any other equipment that causes excessive magentic fields?

Niclas

I recently purchased a used Sol and tried it out in the pool today for the first time. Had the same problem with it dropping connection with air pressure transmitter. Didn't wear the heart monitor, so can't speak to that. I was hoping someone had found a fix.

Hi:

I have 100+ dives on my Sol, and have transmitters on two tanks. I also am into underwater photography and shoot with two high power Ikelite 125 strobes. I have had no transmission problems. On very rare occassions the heart monitor will "miss a beat". This only shows up after the profile has been down loaded, and looks like it lasts for 5-10 seconds.

If you are not receiving tank or heart data, then it sounds like the unit is either defective, or not positioned properly. It has been a great unit for me, especially taking photos.

Dan

I was experimenting with the 1st stage orientation and found that if it is not "square" in relation to the back of my head, I had "lost transmission" errors a lot. When I re-oriented the 1st stage, I have not had any further problems since. If the Polar monitor is not wet, it will drop transmission or if you don't have good contact with the body.

I was experimenting with the 1st stage orientation and found that if it is not "square" in relation to the back of my head, I had "lost transmission" errors a lot. When I re-oriented the 1st stage, I have not had any further problems since. If the Polar monitor is not wet, it will drop transmission or if you don't have good contact with the body.

The transmission under water uses a oscillating magnetic field. The field geometry depends on the emitter coil, but the range is different in different directions. If I remember correctly the optimal way is to have the transmitter pointing in the direction of your head.

The Polar transmitter will stop transmitting if there is no contact with the body.

Niclas

OK, if I understand H2Olover and NiclasG correctly, I've got to have the transmitter pointed at my head. In other words, a straight line drawn from the center of the HP port through the center of the top of the transmitter cover should intersect the back of my head (and out through my nose :wink:), right?

[]#> O}

[] First stage #> Transmitter O} Head :D

I have an Aqualung Mikron. I'm not sure there is any way to orient the first stage so that the transmitter points that way.

My Sol worked great for about 20 dives. Then we went to Cozumel and it just stopped reliably receiving data from my tank transmitter. The transmitter was working because my buddy's Sol got my tank data as well as his tank data, but my Sol got intermittent data at best from my tank and nothing from his. My HRM strap worked, and the rest of the computer's functions worked, though. I took it in to my dive shop when I got back home and they sent it off to Uwatec. Turns out the radio in the computer failed and they just replaced the whole computer - gave me a new one. I got it back a few weeks later, paired it to my tank and my buddy's tank, and it's been great ever since. FWIW, the software and hardware versions of both our Sol's are the same, but my replacement computer has an updated ASIC version.

My Sol worked great for about 20 dives. Then we went to Cozumel and it just stopped reliably receiving data from my tank transmitter. The transmitter was working because my buddy's Sol got my tank data as well as his tank data, but my Sol got intermittent data at best from my tank and nothing from his. My HRM strap worked, and the rest of the computer's functions worked, though. I took it in to my dive shop when I got back home and they sent it off to Uwatec. Turns out the radio in the computer failed and they just replaced the whole computer - gave me a new one. I got it back a few weeks later, paired it to my tank and my buddy's tank, and it's been great ever since. FWIW, the software and hardware versions of both our Sol's are the same, but my replacement computer has an updated ASIC version.

It's important to remember that the receiver antenna is a coil. Because the coil is large and heavy (compared to e.g. a microprocessor) it can break if you drop your computer->mechanical stress. I don't think the ASIC was broken, that would be most unusual. Handle with care, Galileo is an expensive device. This is why it's delivered in a nice package.

There are 2 receiver circuits (ASICs) and 2 antennas inside, one from Polar and Uwatec's own. There are multiple processors inside so they probably upgraded the slave firmware(regarded as an ASIC replacement) in addition to the main CPU (not sure).

Niclas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom