Indonesia divemaster courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Are there any great recommendations out there for diving areas/operators in Indonesia for a relaxed divemaster course?

I have as much time as needed. I am looking for an area with solid/great diving AND can surf in the off time. (I am beginner surfer) I'll probably be going mid september to mid november.

Ideally would like to get involved with a group that would be comfortable stretching a course 2 months. (already rescue diver)

On this note, I am from the U.S. and it looks like all we get is a 30 tourist visa at entry... Any thoughts on how to get this extended?

All thoughts/responses are truly appreciated.

The 30 visa is a Visa on Arrival.

You may be able to get a 60 day visa from an Indonesia Consulate or Embassy in advance. Anyone have recent info on that ??

I did that from the Indo Consulate and got 60 days before arrival.
We also just did it again (been here 60 days) at the immigration office down near the airport near Kuta... A family member of our driver works there :) :)

It takes a few days to extend for 30 more days...

I hope this helps!

Sean

hi, why not try Kuta, Lombok. It's quite good surfing in South Lombok, and the local operator "DiveZone" is know to be fexible and relaxed.

I did my divemaster course with Bali Scuba Diving Bali with Bali Scuba. Bali diving trips, PADI courses and Nitrox.
They are a locally-owned dive operation, and an Instructor Development Centre. The Course Director, Knut Hoff, was my instructor and he is excellent. Not only he is also a DSAT tech instructor, he is also a nurse by training so he can really help you brush up your rescue skills. Also, if you ever decide to go all the way to Instructor level, you can do it with the same instructor.

The best thing about Bali Scuba is, they are not a massive operation, so you really get to know the really nice, cool people you're working with during the internship. They also have a steady stream of customers, so your internship is 100% hands-on. From logistics, operations, assisting, guiding, even reading tide tables and currents, I learned from them. They own two boats so you will also learn a little about boat maintenance and interesting local customs when starting a journey :).

Another great experience is mixing gases and learning more about filling stations and different types of gases. Bali Scuba is one of the very few outfits there who has a full technical diving facility and instructors. Assisting tech divers, even just to get in the water, can be... interesting :wink:

I'm not sure about visa, but yes try to go to the Indonesian embassy to apply for one before you arrive. I think Bali Scuba can write a letter of recommendation or something, to say that you will be doing an internship with them.

Oh, did I mention diving in Bali is FANTASTIC and surfing is a way of life?
Mola-mola season has just started until the end of October, so get yourself down there soon. The most number of mola-mola sighted in one dive (I've seen a video!!): 22! I have only seen max 2 specimens in one dive, but hey, I'm happy even if I only see one!

Good luck :)

I also did my DM in Indonesia, on Flores by Komodo to be specific. It's a great place to dive and do your DM training!

Bear in mind that as far as I am aware that under normal circumstances it is not possible to extend your 30 day visa once you are in the country. You have to get a 60 day BEFORE you enter Indo. Having said that the situation is always changing so it could have changed since I was last there, you will have to check to be sure. I got a 60 day in Singapore from Wahab. One-day fast service.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom