Wrist Compass Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isaac-1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a digital wrist compass for underwater use? I saw a prototype of one at DEMA many years ago, but it never made it to the market. If not what do you think is the best current production underwater compass, my trusty old ScubaPro LS1 died.

thanks

Still struggling to see the need when it cant do the job any better than a £30 sk6

Why would you want a digital compass? What are the benefits?

Digital compasses are really analogue compasses with a digital read-out. They are an expensive solution to an inexpensive problem.

Ok. Thanks.

The one I played with at DEMA a number of years ago was lower profile than most good traditional compasses, and was not prone to sticking when tilted. It also had a number of interesting features (such as timer for time on current heading) , it seems that such technology would be mature by now.

Well I have never seen anyone using them before. Why not just use a real one.

I have a cobra 2 dive computer and it has an electronic compass in it. I thought it would be neat to have everything on display at one place. My advice, DON'T do it. My opinion, but you are better off in getting a regular compass. I found out how to calibrate the compass so I can avoid interference from another if I wanted to mount it to the same console, but it's not worth it. You have to worry about tilt angles with those things and they aren't good. In fact, I'm looking for a Suunto SK-7 analog. Save the $$$.

Really? That is an expensive way of trying to be high-tech for no reason. The best way to go for a wrist compass is a plain old, tried and true version. It does the same job for a lower price, and is less likely to break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom