Disintegrating Oceanic VT Pro Wrist Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt I

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In reentering the SCUBA world after years away, I resurrected our Oceanic VT Pro dive computers, finding that the wrist straps became very brittle, cracked, and literally fell apart. OK. Fine - I solved that problem with a nylon strap.

Then when I went to plug in the data cable to interface with my PC, the black plastic housing holding the dive computer split at the thin portion where you plug in the data cable. ... VERY fragile and not at all what I want to dive with if the casing splits at depth!

Oceanic has no support and no replacements. Some look available on eBay, but I am very wary of old plastic & rubber, given that is the cause of my current dilemma.

Does anyone know of a housing / mounting system that can work?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_3380.jpg
    IMG_3380.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 69
Hard to tell, but it looks like the cover that split is largely cosmetic. The lugs for the watch band look to be separate from the part that split.

So, you may just need to get another band. The boot/cover will probably be tough to remove. Soaking for a bit in warm water may make it easier. I can't help you on aftermarket mounts though. I got a bungee mount for a VT4.1, but that company is out of business.

There was also a guy, based in Russia I believe, that was selling 3D printed mounts for various dive computers.

if you can find it, the old rubber mount that they used for the console version of those is pretty solid. you can drill some holes in them and turn it in to a bungee mount (like a ghetto DSS boot).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Oceanic got their polymer formula from ScubaPro, and Aqualung
Or maybe it was the weather back then or in apprehension of the strategic maneuvers
in the Ukraine

Thanks to all who commented!

I've worked up what I think is a good solution to this and I'll post it with photos soon.

The VT Pro plastic outer housing is prone to falling apart over time and the straps tend to suffer the same fate. Doesn't affect the operation of the computer and it doesn't seem to make it any more suceptible to damage.

That much being said rubber bungee boots are the way to go. DSS made them for years, they're out of business now but another company is making them.

The VT Pro plastic outer housing is prone to falling apart over time and the straps tend to suffer the same fate. Doesn't affect the operation of the computer and it doesn't seem to make it any more suceptible to damage.

That much being said rubber bungee boots are the way to go. DSS made them for years, they're out of business now but another company is making them.

Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom