OceanLog for Oceanic VT Pro on 64-Bit Windows 11 Laptop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Capt I

Capt I

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

We're looking for a computer solution to install vintage OceanLog.

My wife and I are reentering the SCUBA world after being away for a few years. We are using our old (circa 2004) but solid-performing Oceanic VT Pro dive computers.

When I went to install OceanLog from the CD that came with our dive computers onto my new Windows 11 laptop, I received an error popup saying the version is incompatible with a 64-bit machine.

Looking at the Oceanic web site, the new versions of OceanLog do not interface with the VT Pro, which I have learned is no longer supported by Oceanic. (I'm not a fan of having to subscribe to the software anyway.)

Does anyone know of a solution / workaround for the 64-bit compatibility issue to be able to install my vintage version of OceanLog on my new PC?

I did reach out to tech support at Oceanic but have not received a reply yet.

Thanks to all!

Solution
I use the VT Pro as well. I never bothered with the OceanLog software. I use Subsurface, the data on the VT Pro uploads just fine using this software with Windows 11 and it's a great way to log your dives. It's completely free. The developer posts here on ScubaBoard and is helpful with any questions or problems.

I use the VT Pro as well. I never bothered with the OceanLog software. I use Subsurface, the data on the VT Pro uploads just fine using this software with Windows 11 and it's a great way to log your dives. It's completely free. The developer posts here on ScubaBoard and is helpful with any questions or problems.

Solution

Many thanks!

What does Diving Log have, at $39 that Subsurface doesn't have, at $0?

Also- Subsurface has another feature I'd like to make the threadstarter aware of in case he hasn't figured it out.

Subsurface offers a free Cloud account. In addition to having the logbook file stored locally on your PC, you can also upload it to your Cloud account, install the Subsuface App on your smartphone, and download your dives to your phone.

Also note that perhaps because the VT Pro is an older computer, there can be glitches and when you view your dive profile in your logbook you may see oddities in the graph that shows depth vs time. These are easily fixed by manually editing the log file. See below of an invalid data point which indicates a VERY rapid ascent and descent which is probably physically impossible lol (examples are before and after I just fixed the log file).

Also if Subsurface doesn't communicate with your VT Pro, after first confirming the cable connection is good (the cable connection to the Vt Pro is poorly designed), check that the proper comm port is set in Subsurface. It sometimes defaults to a wrong comm port.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 43
FWIW, I second gamon's recommendation of Subsurface. I've been using it for a few years now with different brands and models of DCs and never had a problem downloading from any of them.

I would recommend you just try it out (for free). That's what I wish everyone would do instead of always recommending Subsurface, just because it's free. Free is not always better. Many users are still buying MS Office instead of using Libre Office. And 39 € is probably one of the cheapest pieces of dive equipment you have.

Of course, it might be enough for some or even many, but I think Diving Log has some advantages like support if there are problems, better user interface, customizable logbook and print layouts, better statistics, editing capabilities and mobile apps.

Diving Log has also cloud sync capabilities including syncing to divelogs.de.

Subsurface provides support too (at no charge). The developer posts here, there is an online forum for questions and problems which is well staffed, and they reply directly to personal messages. In fact the developer was the one who showed me how to go in and manually edit the log file to fix the glitches I posted about earlier.

Also- Subsurface has another feature I'd like to make the threadstarter aware of in case he hasn't figured it out.

Subsurface offers a free Cloud account. In addition to having the logbook file stored locally on your PC, you can also upload it to your Cloud account, install the Subsuface App on your smartphone, and download your dives to your phone.

Also note that perhaps because the VT Pro is an older computer, there can be glitches and when you view your dive profile in your logbook you may see oddities in the graph that shows depth vs time. These are easily fixed by manually editing the log file. See below of an invalid data point which indicates a VERY rapid ascent and descent which is probably physically impossible lol (examples are before and after I just fixed the log file).

Also if Subsurface doesn't communicate with your VT Pro, after first confirming the cable connection is good (the cable connection to the Vt Pro is poorly designed), check that the proper comm port is set in Subsurface. It sometimes defaults to a wrong comm port.
Good info. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom