Info about diving in Charleston?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdaniels09

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be in Charleston in middle of Aug. and I am already cert. but am still a beginner Any suggestions?

I love to dive for Sharks teeth (Megaldon/Prehistoric) in the Cooper River! You can find teeth as big as your hand. It is however NO Visability diving with very strong currents. I hesitate to mention it to you since you are a beginner though, try to hook up with a dive charter they can assist you as a beginner diver with shark tooth hunting. I find it some of the most rewarding diving. A tank of air goes quick when you're finding valuable treasures. I have traded some of my teeth to LDS's for all kinds of scuba gear, so the teeth have definate value!!!! I have never dove a charter on the Cooper river as I know several spots to shore dive but here is a thread to check out!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/242581-went-fossil-diving-charleston-wow.html

Its not as hard as it seems. I do charters on the Cooper River and with a little planning you can dive the river with mild currents, You need some tomove the silt etc. If interested I have openings for August see www.cooperiverdiving.com for details.

I did 4 dives on the Cooper river last week with OffthewallDiving.com
Bill runs the boat and is really helpful. It is a challenging dive, pretty strong current for at least one of your dives in a day, you have to use a pick to anchor yourself as you look. 0 visibility, almost. So having said that, I took my 10 year old daughter and 13 year old son on the 4 dives. They are, admittedly, rock stars. We found 26 whole teeth, 28 partial teeth, and quite a few bone fossils. It was a blast.

Thanks for the information! Does anyone know about the Charleston Scuba charters?

If you're looking for salt water, I'd give Charleston Scuba a call. I've never dove with them, but they are the only off shore operator in Charleston that I know of. They also Charter the cooper river. http://www.charlestonscuba.com/

Last edited:
Yeah, I scheduled a dive with them so i will let you all know how it turns out

I've dove on a Charleston Scuba charter and I got my open water cert there. We dove the Frederick Day wreck. Sally is one of the owners/instructors and she's awesome. Keep in mind it is a pretty long boat ride to any of the dive sites offshore. Make sure you bring yourself some snacks/drinks. They have a big cooler on the boat you can put your drinks in. The day we went out turned into the perfect storm so the visibility wasn't good, but the water will be really warm when you go. They are an excellent dive shop, I would definitely recommend them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom