scuba questions for school project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfern

Reaction score
where is a scuba diving class normally held?

how many people usually attend scuba diving classes?(I know this is a bad question but...?)

do the scuba tanks have a specific name?

are there usually two tanks that you wear? one? are they strapped onto your back? they only contain oxygen right?

is there a specific name for the mouthpiece?

how about this: can you possibly list everything that one must wear before diving?

I guess that's it for now...if you guys could answer any of these questions I'd totally appreciate it.
thanks!

cfern once bubbled...
[/B]

The classes usually run for about 4 days
Day one Theory of Diving Classroom
Day 2 In pool or confined water practising skills
Day 3 Two Open Water Dives
Day 4 Two Open Water Dives

How many people usually attend scuba diving classes?(I know this is a bad question but...?)
Class size can be between 1 and 10 people
Usual class size is around 6 students for the Open Water Course

Yes Scuba Tanks, there are different sizes of tanks and they can be made of either Steel or Aluminium

Are there usually two tanks that you wear? One? Are they strapped onto your back? They only contain oxygen right?
No Recreational Diving is usually done with a single tank it is full of air exactly the same as you are breathing now 21% Oxygen 79% Nitrogen. Breathing pure oxygen at depth is toxic to your body.

Yes it is called a Mouth Piece

how about this: can you possibly list everything that one must wear before diving?
Depending on the water temp so lets go with warm water
Wetsuit between 3mm and 7mm thick
BCD (buoyancy Control Device) also holds the Scuba Tank on your back
Mask
Fins
Booties
Snorkel
Weight Belt
Regulators consist of First and Second stages plus a back up second stage.
First stage connects to the Valve on the Scuba Tank, second stage goes in your mouth
SPG (Tells you how much air you have)
Depth Gauge (Tells you how deep you are)
Scuba Tank
Knife or cutting implement
Optional Dive Computer to calculate depth and Time
Signalling device for emergencies

Did I forget anything ?
]PADI Website

I guess that's it for now...if you guys could answer any of these questions I'd totally appreciate it.
thanks!
If you want to have a look at the gear why not go to your local Dive Shop I am sure they would be happy to show you round and explain how it all fits together

First in the classroom, then the pool and finally in the Ocean or Lake depending on your location.

how many people usually attend scuba diving classes?(

This varis, it can be a class of 10 or more or a class of two. You can take group classes or private, the amount of people in the class depends on the time of year. Summer time brings more interest.

Tanks is a general term that covers all types. You can have Aluminum or Steel tanks.

are there usually two tanks that you wear? one? are they strapped onto your back? they only contain oxygen right?

usually just one tank carried on the back. As your experience lvl increases you may opt to use 2 tanks on your back. it all depends on your objective. The deeper or longer you want to dive the more tanks you will need.

Oxygen is only used in tanks for decompression. Most SCUBA tanks are filled with air, or 79% Nitrogen 21% oxygen, or an enriched air mixture but not oxygen.

mouthpiece to me means the little rubber peice attached to the 2nd stage regulator with a zip tie. The regulator delivers air to the diver as he/she breathes. The mouth peice is just a way to make the hard plasic "tube" of the regulator more comfortable in a divers mouth.

By "before diving" i think you mean what equipment do you need to dive? here goes:

Mask, fins, snorkel, wet suit or drysuit, hood, gloves, knife or cutting tool, Tank ( full of course) , regulator 1st and 2nd stage, compass, depth guage, Bouyancy control device or BCD and a weight belt.

Andy

"The classes usually run for about 4 days
Day 4 Two Open Water Dives"

Sounds like a class to avoid. Other classes devote more time to classroom and to pool work. Typically, my classes meet 4 times for 4 hours each in the classroom and 8 times for 2 hours each in the pool. Usually lasts a month.

Walter once bubbled...
"The classes usually run for about 4 days
Day 4 Two Open Water Dives"

Sounds like a class to avoid. Other classes devote more time to classroom and to pool work. Typically, my classes meet 4 times for 4 hours each in the classroom and 8 times for 2 hours each in the pool. Usually lasts a month.

HI Walter I am quoting PADI Standards, dont forget the 8 hours of reading before the day of Theory.

Oh just out of intrest what do you do for 16 hours in a pool with a student ?

thanks for answering me, you've helped a lot, I really do appreciate it

thanks!

trymixdiver once bubbled...
Hmm

does that 16 hrs in the pool include a wire brush and lots of scrubbing ?

Andy :)

Start off by introduction of a skill, learning of a skill, practice of a skill and reinforcement of a skill and you will train confident, competent and comfortable divers.

Include a Skin diving session to include skin diving rescues, surface dives, neutral buoyancy, entries, finning technique and underwater swimming. And at least 5 scuba sessions set up to introduce simple moving onto complex skills. Students should get time to practice skills and build confidence throughout the sessions.

The more patience and practice given in confined water, the easier things go in open water. For those that think buoyancy is an advanced skill, if you take the time to teach it in confined water, it's no big deal to your entry level students.

Also confined water training is a process of a transfer of responsibilty for the students comfort and safety. As the session progresses, allow the students more room and personal responsibility, don't smother them. When the course is done and you give them that card, they are completely responsible for their own safety. If they expect an instructor, DM or AI to be there to hold them down if they choke on water once they start diving, then they are an accident waiting to happen. If they expect someone to hand them their regulator back if it gets lost, tangled or stuck behind them, then they never develop the reasoning skills that tell them they have a perfectly good alternate sitting right there to use while they locate the lost regulator. Students that are given the time in confined water to develop good skills are far better prepared to handle uncomfortable and potentially hazardous situations in open water.

Open water dives are not the time to be training students all of that should be completed in confined water. These dives should be a time to allow students to practice what they have already mastered in confined water, and to begin building their personal experience and confidence. By the end of the 5 dives they should be confident, competent and comfortable enough to go diving with a buddy the next day. And not feel as if they should seek out a friend that is an instructor, DM or AI to take them diving until they feel comfortable.

My $.02

cfern once bubbled...
thanks!

Hi cfern, I'm just being curious but could you precise what you wanna do ? If it's a pedagogical project, it sounds VERY interesting, since I've never seen any school project based on Scuba Diving. It could be a GREAT thing to work on... And of course we could help you a great deal :D

Cheerz !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom