Dive Report-Oriskany, Destin, and Vortex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
July 20, 2008
This turned out to be an absolutely fantastic weekend. We all met Friday night at Zia’s and enjoyed a large amount of food for a reasonable price. I was totally awed at the sheer volume of chow that the fellows packed away. We had dropped off gear and signed releases already so we could relax. The trip to Walmart proved interesting. The waitress told us that Wally World was the nearest grocery store that would be easy to find. We passed an Albertson’s on the way. It was not a wasted trip though because we found Good Sense Sesame snacks. We have searched for them since two Bonaire’s ago. Then we settled in at the Day’s Inn on for a very hard sleep.

Everyone arrived on time Saturday morning. We loaded the boat and were underway in record time. We’re usually the first boat on site but I swear they needed a traffic cop. At least eight boats were already anchored.

As we started on the first dive the current was dead slack. The surface water is pea-green from all the rain and runoff. The Oriskany visibility opened up to about thirty or forty feet. We went directly to the flight deck and to the port elevator. We kept going and peered into the hangar deck. Our maximum depth was 151feet. Back across to the tower we found a little octopus in one of the tie-downs. He thought he was hidden but those curious knobby eyes always give them away. We ascended to the air boss deck and went around the tower to the starboard side. We found the resident octopus in the big tube and then a lone blenny perched high above the deck on a small pipe.

By the time we started up the current was kicking from about thirty feet to the surface. We felt like flags on the line as we waited patiently for our turn to board. Back on deck hotdogs cooked and our appetites swelled. There were corndogs too and they were good. We relaxed and jumped from the upper deck and then from the bow and drifted to the stern – over and over again.

The second dive started with that kicking current that turned slack after 30 feet. Twelve large Barracuda stacked up in the current – they hung motionless as we struggled on the line. We only went to 112 feet or so this time. Kathy told us where to find a large grey angelfish that hammed for photographers. We saw the octopus with her eggs again and the elusive blenny. Beside the octopus we found the rare magnetic lizard that we think is a cousin to the Hodagg. It was a sad time when our computers told us we had to ascend. The barracuda were still there and we watched them as they watched us on the safety stop.

Cathy served vanilla ice cream with Razzle-Berry pie. Gosh it was yummy. The seas were smooth and the skies clear. Four dolphins raced in the boat’s wake. Back at the hotel the hot shower felt fantastically good! The Scuba Shack crew performed admirably once again. Thanks go to Gene, Eileen, Debbie, Kathy, and Jason.

We decided on The Fish House for dinner and it’s a place I highly recommend. After eating we walked down to the Y-Knot and talked to Dave Mucchi for a while. Then back to the hotel and slept ten-hours.

On Sunday we headed to Destin for an eleven-thirty high tide. We lucked out on a parking place and sweated across the sand. The water here has a greenish tint as well from the ample rain they have been having. The current was virtually slack as we began the first dive. We cruised along the sandy bottom and saw tons of stone crab, toadfish, and jellyfish. There were large snapper hanging out in the rocks. A pesky remora tested our resolve. A very small crab squared off at us with his claws wide open. We did two dives here and on the second dive we saw stone crab eating jellyfish. We thought once about releasing the jellyfish but decided not to mess with Mother Nature. We sweated back across the sand and the cool shower felt good.

Then we headed for Ponce de Leon. We stopped by Morrison and swear that it looks the same as it did months ago. The gate has literally been torn from its hinges. There was a car down by the water but we didn’t venture farther. We did the rinse-off dive at Vortex. It was so comfortable sitting on the porch talking with our old friends from the spring. Johnny showed us some double-hose regulators and we talked about enticing the Vintage Divers group to an event at Vortex.

Then, as usual, the drive home was long and tiring. We’ve never seen so many policemen hid behind this hill or that bush. Trying for the elusive tourist dollar I presume.

Last edited:
We’re usually the first boat on site but I swear they needed a traffic cop. At least eight boats were already anchored.

My wife and I were on the Down Under for our first Oriskany trip the same day.

P7192407_Medium_.JPG

P7192405_Medium_.JPG

As we were maneuvering for position, I thought I recognized at least one SBer on the Wet Dream, though it was a gray bearded gentlemen that looked familiar.
P7192406_Medium_.JPG

There was need for the traffic cop underwater also.
P7192434_Medium_.JPG

Beside the octopus we found the rare magnetic lizard that we think is a cousin to the Hodagg.
I stand corrected. I mistakingly told my wife it was a Venomous Saltwater Wreck Newt.
P7192420_Medium_.JPG

Thanks for the great reports,

Great report and photos. This is another spot I want to hit sometime!

A question though. Since you said you went to 151ft, what depth and times did you do your deco stops? I've only gone down to about 100ft and stayed under the no-deco limits, but of course did our 3 minutes at 15ft.

Also since you were at that depth I assume you were on regular air not nitrox right?

Glad it was good time.

Jeff

July 20, 2008

We did two dives here and on the second dive we saw stone crab eating jellyfish. We thought once about releasing the jellyfish but decided not to mess with Mother Nature.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

WHAT?!?!?!? I'm trying to figure out how to capture the jellies FOR the crabs and turtles. Let those guys eat all the jellies the want :D

I was using a Worthington HP 100 with a custom mix of 26 percent which would allow me MOD of 162 feet at 1.6 ppO2. My profile was multilevel and I was left with 13 minutes when I got back to 15 feet. I started out with 3450 psi and had 550 psi when I returned to the boat 58 minutes later. Average depth was 68 feet and I came up with 0.44 cfm SCR.

The Scubaboarder that you recognized was no other than Rick Murchison.

Thanks for the surface pictures. I didn't take any for some reason. Our Captain was laughing about the spaghetti line when the wind shifted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom