Little River Canyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BNow0707

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A day trip that had been in the planning stages for a few weeks finally came to existence today when myself and girlfriend along with reloader77724 made a trip to Little River Canyon. Not expecting much we packed intertubes for floating, fishing equipment and the diving/snorkeling gear. Well needless to say the diving gear was all that got used:D. Our first and only true scuba dive was at a place just upriver from the Little River Falls, called Blue Hole (I believe the locals call it hippee hole). Reloader and myself entered the water with plenty of odd looks and questions from swimmers. The water under the rope swing i was promised was at least 20 feet deep, well max dive depth was 8 feet and that was laying on the bottom, LOL.:rofl3: We spent about 20 minutes crusing around the Blue Hole with myself picking up about 4 foot of a broken fishing pole and a fishing lure and reloader77724 snatching up a lighter, mountain dew bottle, and a nice shiny 1997 penny, least we made money today :rofl3: One thing that i noted that has never happened to me in my short diving career is that i got to hear it rain underwater, I know it sounds ridiculous but something about that sound was so amazing. After getting a brief lecture from traci about how i was going to die in the water we ungeared and waited in the truck for the storm to pass as we drove over to the parking lot for the falls. We geared up and proceeded on about a 1/2 mile hike fully geared for the dive. The trail leading to the bottom falls is very steep. In fact they had someone injured there today that required the high angle ropes rescue team to extract them, in anycase we decided to abandon the idea of the "below the falls" dive until a better route can be found. After looking for along time trying to find a safer way to the falls and again answering more questions about our divng the river we loaded up and headed for the bottom of the canyon. This is where we snorkeled for almost two hours in the Canyon Mouth Day use area. There are several deep (and i use the word deep loosely) pools here probably in the 10-20 foot range with amazing quarry-like visibility. The pools are about 150 - 250 yards long and seperated by shoals or small water falls and such. I know that may not even be considered real diving to some, but we will be back when we have more time. The amount of wildlife was amazing we saw countless drum, carp, small and big bass, a few catfish, a few turtles, and reloader saw a nice size lognose gar as well. All that being said i would recommend that anyone in the area give this place a try. It close and relatively easily accessed. With abundant fish and amazing rock formations all around its truly worth seeing for any diver/snorkeler/outdoors enthusiast.

Back
Top Bottom