New to MA, looking for dive buddy (Aug 23rd or 24th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deltat

Registered
Reaction score
So I just moved to Cambridge, MA from the NYC area and I want to do some diving up here.

Looking for a dive buddy to do some shore diving the weekend of August 23rd or 24th. Either day is good for me. I'm looking to find someone who knows the area and knows the good places to dive. I've heard there is lots of good shore diving at Cape Ann. I would like to head out in the morning and dive a few tanks. I'm pretty much up for any destination. If things work out, I'd certainly be up for more diving in the future including doing some boat diving.

Here is a little about me:
Male, 27 years old
I'll likely be diving a single 80 tank and a 7mm farmer john wetsuit (for now).
I've been diving for 3 years, and I've done cold water wreck diving off the NJ coast (Stolt, Lizzie D, Algol, etc.)

Here is what I can provide:
- Car ride if you live close to Cambridge (or on the way up)
- Beer (for after the dive :p)

Anyone up for showing me the Massachusetts diving ropes?

Welcome to Mass. The North Shore Frogmen, aka the Froggies, meet at the Burger King on Rt 128 N (believe it is just after Exit 19) every Sunday morning at 8 am for a shore dive. No charge, just show up at the north end of the parking lot and look for us. Where we will dive depends on the current weather conditions, but will probably be somewhere on Cape Ann. Check out the website:
Northshore Frogmen
Jim

Welcome! I think you'll find shore dives around Cape Ann pretty interesting, but even more interesting if you get yourself a lobster license! :D

I'm probably not diving that weekend, but another group that would gladly welcome you to dive with them is the MetroWest Dive Club and they meet every Saturday morning at 8am at that same Burger King on Rt 128 (Beverly, MA).

MetroWest Dive Club

If I change my mind about diving that weekend, I'd be happy to dive with you and will let you know.

Dave C

Great! It looks like my bases are covered as I can dive with either MetroWest on Saturday or the Frogmen on Sunday.

I'm assuming both of these groups welcome newcomers? I'm also assuming that I don't have to notify anyone, and I should just show up and introduce myself.

I also have a few remaining questions:
1) How many full tanks should I bring with me?
2) When I wreck dive, I usually dive a single w/ a Pony (haven't gotten to doubles yet). Should I rig my setup for that, or should I rig it for a single tank only?

Great! It looks like my bases are covered as I can dive with either MetroWest on Saturday or the Frogmen on Sunday.

I'm assuming both of these groups welcome newcomers? I'm also assuming that I don't have to notify anyone, and I should just show up and introduce myself.

I also have a few remaining questions:
1) How many full tanks should I bring with me?
2) When I wreck dive, I usually dive a single w/ a Pony (haven't gotten to doubles yet). Should I rig my setup for that, or should I rig it for a single tank only?

I know MetroWest is happy to have non-members who show up at the "Date at Eight" join them for dives. They'll ask that a waiver be signed, but that's it.

It's an active club of enthusiastic divers and usually 3 to 6 of them will show up, but it wouldn't hurt to have a contact number to confirm ahead of time.

You can find a contact on the website or I can find a contact for you real easily. Just let me know.

They usually do two dives, but some members would love the opportunity to do three. Getting the word out would be sure to find a 3-tank buddy.

I use an al30 pony on all my shore dives and nobody laughs....not out loud anyway! :D

Goes well with my hp120..... I obviously don't worry about what people think.... :wink:

I know some others who always use a pony. They're not a judgmental group at all; they're just out to enjoy diving.

Let me know if you'd like me to find out who's going on the 23rd and I'll provide a contact for you.

Easy peasy.....

Dave C

Dave,

If you could find out who's going, that would be fantastic. I would certainly be up for a 3 tanker since I'll be renting anyway it won't be an issue.

Dave,

If you could find out who's going, that would be fantastic. I would certainly be up for a 3 tanker since I'll be renting anyway it won't be an issue.

I'll pm you tonight with some names and phone numbers.

I've been in touch with a gal who will be there on the 23rd and she's happy to have you call her. I'll provide her number when I pm you.

Also, I've left a phone message with a fellow who I believe is still MetroWest's shore dive coordinator.

When I hear from him, I'll pm you with some contact info.

The gal says they mostly do just two dives, but someone may want more. :)

I'll be in touch tonight.

Dave C

I just spoke with the fellow who is MetroWest's shore dive coordinator and he's happy to have you contact him.

Will send you a PM now with names and numbers.

Good luck and enjoy!

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom