Dive Master Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butch103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok folks time to speak up and ley me know your experiences as a Dive Master trainee...

I have picked up my PADI DM kit and have begun to read the materials. Nothing too shocking yet. :wacko:

My instructor will do my training using both ACUC and PADI. He says ACUC is more in depth in some areas and vice versa.

What are the DMs out there thoughts?

Any suggestions for me?....:confused:

Thanks all....

I don't know how many dives you have under your belt before you started this class. But be open minded. Don't get stuck with the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"

I thoroughly enjoyed my course, and put in a tonne of extra effort and time. It led to the store hiring me now that I'm an instructor, and I now teach a lot... which is good.. :D

But a couple of recommendations:
1) get the mapping project done as soon as possible, most people put it off (not me though :wink:
2) work really hard, it can lead to a job for you later on. An instructor and/or divemaster is great cause you can do it in your 'spare time', make a little extra cash.

Good luck!!!

I will be going through the dive master course later this year, so I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say in this thread.

As far as making "extra cash" working part time as a DM, the money you make will probably be just enough to pay for your liability insurance. That's what I have been told by other DMs and instructors. I'm sure instructors make more working part time.

Just don't quit your day job!!! :)

Duane

Anyway, I am of the opinion that I kinda screwed up with the DM thing. It was a while back, I was fresh out of DIRF, and had just witnessed how much fun the GUE guys have working with classes (at least it looked like fun). Not to mention all the new stuff I had just learned and was dying to pass on to someone...like a curtain had been lifted and I had to share with the world. So my instructor from rescue asked me about doing DM and I decided to do it.

Well...come to find out, and Mike is the authority on this so I will yield to his expertise, the dive industry is a f$@*ed up place and I don't really see a place for me in it other than as a consumer. Spending the weekend at the quarry with students is fun...compared to sitting on my couch and doing nothing. When compared to doing an ocean dive with my best friends (who are my dive buddies coincidentally) it doesn't even come close.

Being a good diver and being a good instructor of diving are two very different things. Working with students requires infinite amounts of patience and a lot of, IMHO, swallowing what you think is right and "buying in" to the whole recreational certification marketplace. One of my buddies, also a member of this board, is doing DM with me. He is a natural at it (I am not)... He spent about 4 hours one afternoon working with 2 extremely fussy women to get their weighting right. 4 HOURS. I just can't do that kind of stuff...they would have driven me to madness after 30 mins. I can work with "good students" who are cool people and are excited about diving. It takes real skill (and NOT diving skill...the people kind) to work with students like that and, sad to say, from my experience there are a lot like that in scuba classes. I love to dive with new people and I love to dive with new divers...what I don't like doing is dealing with the ones that are not excited, don't really want to be there, have no interest in anything other than getting certified (why, I have no clue), and will probably dive a couple times a year for a couple years and then quit. Anyone that works with students has a million stories about stupid, dangerous, and exasperating things that have happened in classes...it is just way different from diving for pleasure at a place you want to dive with people you want to dive with...it makes it more like work...and I dive to get away from work.

Try very hard to forget what they teach you about kneeling on the bottom to demonstrate skilld. You might end up working for someone who thinks divers should stay off the bottom.

Try very hard to forget what they teach you about having students on the bottom overweighted. Forget what they tell you about new divers not being able to learn buoyancy control and trim.

If you can get through all that without being ruined you'll do ok.

You will need The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and PADI Instructor Manual. For some reason PADI does not include information that is needed to pass their tests "stanards, physiology" in the course book for the divemaster class.

You will need The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and PADI Instructor Manual. For some reason PADI does not include information that is needed to pass their tests "stanards, physiology" in the course book for the divemaster class.

Actually the above AND about 20 other things are listed in the Instructor Manual as to what a DM needs to have in order to "meet performance requirements in confined and open water training" as well as for Knowledge Development.

Unfortunately, what you are focussing upon as an ommssion on the part of the AGENCY is actually one on the part of a particular INSTRUCTOR.

The learning curve is hard, but the rewards are worth it. Be positive. Be professional. And have FUN.

~SubMariner~

What is this mapping thing that I always hear about?

I'm going to be doing my DM when the ice thaws off the lakes here, and I'm curious. I want to know as much going in as I can :)

O-Ring I can see where it would be easier to assimilate to the PADI way when you haven't taken the DIR training. ( I haven't so this will help). Much easier to do the DIR after......(less stressfull) :D

Mike...I understand, fortunately, the instructor I am working with ( at least in conversation) is of the same mindset as you and I ....Stay off the bottom. He believes that the student is best to get the bouyancy correct ASAP in the pool.

jhnsndn...nope , no money in it.

I do want to teach at some time ( instructor) and I realize that it won't provide my retirement income, but more something to do at retirement with a purpose. In addition I like to teach people new things, ideas and skills. It is my "drug" to see some ones eye's light up when the light bulb goes on and they realize that "they did it"........

Thanks for the ideas so far, keep them coming.

I have been PM'd by others and they are also very interested in all the thoughts and comments you can offer.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom