Mona Island - How's the diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Nekton is offering $600 off on their Mona Island itinerary. Pretty good price. Below is a statement from their web site regarding this trip:

"Nekton's exciting Mona Island itinerary includes high energy diving around Mona Island which also includes Desecheo and Monita Islands. The diving around Mona Island is very rewarding but we recommend the intinerary for divers who are not brand new to the sport, and are confident and established with their diving skills."

Can anyone who's dived Mona explain what they are saying with comments like high energy diving and confident/established divers.

My wife and I have been diving about 6 years with well over 200 dives each. I think we're pretty good divers but we're not interested in fighting real strong currents all the time. Key words are "all the time." If strong currents are not the issue what could it be that prompts them to describe the diving as high energy and to recommend it for confident/established divers.

We're looking for easy diving, clear warm water and lots of marine life. We've dived with Nekton before and this would be our 5th liveaboard trip.

I called Nekton and talked to a guy who had not been to Mona but has talked to a number of people who have.

He said the Mona trip used to be in their schedule but was discontinued until recently when it was brought back, on a limited itinerary, due to popular demand.

He said the reason for the "high energy" and related comments is because of the topography in the area. In places there is no coast line, it's basicly right on the wall, and the boat can't drop a line so there's a lot of live boat diving. The boat gets as close to the shore as possible and there's often swells so you have jump in and drop down as fast as possible and then upon surfacing your making your way back to a live boat. So that sounds fine.

Would still like hear from anyone who has ever dived Mona and her sister islands.

Hi, Don....

You have me considering this Nekton trip.

I've only done about 25 dives (including 15 in Bonaire), plus I will be spending a dive week at the Cozumel Scuba Club in October.

With the $600 discount, this trip can be as low as $1,095 (I think).

I'll watch here for other responses, but if you find out anything more off-line, please share.

Thx.

Ron

I don't have any experience with Mona Island but if you have to fly to PR, it can be expensive and hotels are definitely expensive and can be spotty on quality. Just suggesting you consider all expenses.

My wife and I just booked this trip for the week of Dec 13. The $600 off was too good to pass up. I spoke to the staff at Nekton several times, including someone that has done the trip before. Only about two days are spent on the vertical cliff walls that call for more experience.

This will be our second trip on the Nekton Pilot – we did Belize last November. If you are interested in the discount, don’t wait too long – you have to book by Sept 26. Details are on the Nekton site

My wife and I just booked this trip for the week of Dec 13. The $600 off was too good to pass up. I spoke to the staff at Nekton several times, including someone that has done the trip before. Only about two days are spent on the vertical cliff walls that call for more experience.

This will be our second trip on the Nekton Pilot – we did Belize last November. If you are interested in the discount, don’t wait too long – you have to book by Sept 26. Details are on the Nekton site

Did they say anything about what the diving is like? About all I've heard so far is there's a lot of turtles.

Did they say anything about what the diving is like? About all I've heard so far is there's a lot of turtles.

My understanding is that there are a lot of turtles and sharks. The viz is supposed to be great -- 100+, but we all know that viz can change quickly. Mona Island lies between the Atlantic can Carribian, so other pelagics are possible. The diving is so varied on the trip, some shallow, some deep, and in so many different locations, that I expect a little of it all.

I just googled "Nekton Mona" and came up with this trip report from a few years back when they regularly did this trip:
Trip Report - Mona Island

another one
Mona Island 2004

another one
2004 Nekton Trip

Thanks for the links. I had already read the first two. Can't quite get a grip on this trip but I'm viewing it a little more favorably right now.

Again thanks and if you find more please let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom