Diving In May - First time in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree completely about Alor especially given the connections and overnight required but a flight to Komodo is about 1 hour and there are multiple flights there and back a day.
It's basically a half-day wasted each way (one day altogether) - time I'd rather be diving if on a two week trip. Especially when there's so much to see below and above the water in Bali for a first timer. The only other itinerary I'd recommend is if there is a direct flight from Singapore to Manado (there was pre-pandemic) then dive Bunaken and Banka for two weeks. (They don't want macro so can skip Lembeh.)

It's basically a half-day wasted each way (one day altogether) - time I'd rather be diving if on a two week trip. Especially when there's so much to see below and above the water in Bali for a first timer. The only other itinerary I'd recommend is if there is a direct flight from Singapore to Manado (there was pre-pandemic) then dive Bunaken and Banka for two weeks. (They don't want macro so can skip Lembeh.)
There are direct flights between Singapore and Manado. I took it a couple times in 2022.

Bunaken was underwhelming for me but Bangka was very good.

..... if there is a direct flight from Singapore to Manado (there was pre-pandemic)
LOL!!! Living in the past.
There are direct flights between Singapore and Manado. I took it a couple times in 2022.
Direct flight between SIN and MDC has resumed months ago.
How difficult it is to find it out? Depend who you are.

I saw these little critters (kissing Bargibanti, yellow variation) in Bangka.

yM0016725.jpeg

Mine and my husbands first time going to Indonesia! We're very excited but I'll be the first to say we're pretty lost on where we should prioritize our time. We have about two weeks mid-May that we will be there and would love suggestions on where we should go for scuba diving, (we aren't muck divers and we like large sea life).

Currently this is our plan:

Fly to either Jakarta or Bali (leaning towards Bali) from there we are thinking to go to either Komodo or Alor for diving.

Komodo - We've heard great things about the diving and it seems easy to get to. We are open to liveaboards, resorts, or just a regular dive shop.

Alor - We are thinking about adding this island to our trip however we aren't finding ways to travel there? Is there a boat or flight that we can use to get there? Also is it the right time of year to be going to Alor?

We would like to try to see and do as much as possible in the two weeks so if you have suggestions or maybe a liveaboard that acts like a cruise so we can get some sight seeing done as well that would be awesome.
Hi !
Did you fully book everything already?
Flying to Alor is not hard. From Bali you have to fly to Kupang first, stay there overnight, and then from Kupang you can fly to Alor.

Alor is really worth visiting ! It's amazing for any diver, whether you like muck, coral, wall or current dives, everything is there !

Hi !
Did you fully book everything already?
Flying to Alor is not hard. From Bali you have to fly to Kupang first, stay there overnight, and then from Kupang you can fly to Alor.

Alor is really worth visiting ! It's amazing for any diver, whether you like muck, coral, wall or current dives, everything is there !
It's all in Bali too, without the extra hop, skip, and a jump to get there.

Back
Top Bottom