Questions about Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hbscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to the board, new to the Philippines, but not new to diving. I appreciate all the info shared on the board and this section of the board! I searched this site for info, but I need a little more, if possible. Thanks!

I am taking a group of divers to Tubbataha and Dumaguette this winter, 2009. We are going to take a 2 night layover in Manila. (We could have made it a one night layover, but we wanted to relax, get adjusted to the time change and tour for a day before starting the live aboard.) Why rush things? Even though we have heard that we should just by-pass Manila, my reading tells me there is a lot to see there, even though a huge city.

These are the plans for Manila so far. I would like to know what you think, and if you have any suggestions of places we must see:

- Arrive 11:00 pm on a Saturday
- Stay at the Manila Hotel (Sounds good on the net. Any experience with this hotel?)
Tour the City (I have a tour company arranging a full or half day tour. I am thinking that Intramuros would be interesting. Is the market in Quiapo open on Sundays? Any other places that would be places of local interest that we should not miss?)
- Depart for Tubbataha and Dumaguete to follow
- One night in Manila before leaving early morning (I am looking at the Trader's Hotel, as it is close to the airport. Any experience with that hotel?)
- Depart 6:30 am back to the U.S. (I do not want to leave already!)

Any suggestions/tips you may have are helpful. Thank you very much in advance!

All the best fishes,
HBScuba :)

I am taking a group of divers to Tubbataha and Dumaguette this winter, 2009. We are going to take a 2 night layover in Manila. (We could have made it a one night layover, but we wanted to relax, get adjusted to the time change and tour for a day before starting the live aboard.) Why rush things? Even though we have heard that we should just by-pass Manila, my reading tells me there is a lot to see there, even though a huge city.

These are the plans for Manila so far. I would like to know what you think, and if you have any suggestions of places we must see:

- Arrive 11:00 pm on a Saturday
- Stay at the Manila Hotel (Sounds good on the net. Any experience with this hotel?)
Tour the City (I have a tour company arranging a full or half day tour. I am thinking that Intramuros would be interesting. Is the market in Quiapo open on Sundays? Any other places that would be places of local interest that we should not miss?)
- Depart for Tubbataha and Dumaguete to follow
- One night in Manila before leaving early morning (I am looking at the Trader's Hotel, as it is close to the airport. Any experience with that hotel?)
- Depart 6:30 am back to the U.S. (I do not want to leave already!)

Any suggestions/tips you may have are helpful. Thank you very much in advance!

All the best fishes,
HBScuba :)

am not sure if i got this right. you're going to tubbataha in a month? tubbataha season is march to may.
for intramuros and quiapo, the carlos celdran walking tour is highly recommended: Walk This Way

as to hotels, manila hotel has seen better days. Sofitel may be nicer. Hotel Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila - Luxury hotel MANILA - Official Web Site
or Shangri-La in Makati which is just beside the mall. Makati Shangri-La Hotel, Manila | A Luxury Hotel in Manila, Philippines
nearest to the airport is heritage hotel Manila Hotel | Official Site The Heritage Hotel Manila | Luxury Hotel Philippines

hope this helps.

OK, where do I start?

On a level of one to ten, in what state of psychosis are you in? Quiapo is not really the place for the "tourist", so to speak, I was taken there by Chip, and although I didn't find it particularly rough, I am a bit of a crazy kind of guy.

Probably the best way to answer your question, is to ask about the ages of the people in your group, and the adventure level you are after. There is quite a bit to do in Manila, lots of old Spanish style architecture, old forts and so on, quite cool.

Not too sure about the hotels, as I've only really stayed in City State in Malate (small, but nice and clean) and one other, which was also nice and clean, but I can't remember the name or location - though maybe Jag does, as he picked me up from there to go for dinner on one of my previous trips.

You should be very happy with Dumaguete, I literally just had 2 dives there with Maggie, and the vis was fantastic - 100ft plus easily, very clean and blue, I was wishing I had taken then wide angle down instead of the macro, but the vis was good enough that I got some nice shots of a huge mutha turtle that posed for us with my 100mm macro lens. And we did not even go to Apo island...

My best suggestion is to do your research with relation to pricing, tourists can be easy victims, cab drivers will often make a fare that is 4 times the norm seem like a good deal. But don't let that turn you off, the diving here is amazing, food is wonderful (especially if you get away from the familiar and try the local dishes - Adobo is a must! Sisig, also, with a beer (San Miguel, of course...), is fantastic. Just don't ask what it is until after you have enjoyed it :)

Anyway, let us know what your group is interested in (Photography? Food? Shopping? All? None?) And we can help further :)

Z...

Thanks Jigo and Zeeman! I will look into your tour and hotel suggestions and appreciate the little tidbits about Quiapo, food, drink, etc! I will tell our photographers about the wide angle shots at Dumaguete. These divers are fairly seasoned travelers, from 30 - 50 years young. BTW, we are not going until LATE winter, not next month. :wink: Anyone else have info on good, moderate priced hotels for Manila, I am interested. Thanks again!

Thanks for the extra referral, Jigo. Now I am trying to decide if we should stay in the "Manila" area by Intramuros for our 2 overnights OR in the Makati City area? The Holiday Inn Galleria Hotel in the Ortigas area looks nice, too. I am getting the impression that this area of Makati City/Ortigas is more of the business area....lots of big buildings and concrete? Is this true? Would it be better to stay in the Intramuros area closer to the water front at the Waterfront Pavillion? Both are comparable prices at Asia Rooms - Australia hotels,Singapore hotels,Thailand hotels and Japan hotels with instant confirmation - check hotel availability book your hotel room. There were a few comments that the Pavillion lobby is beautiful, but the rooms are getting old. The Shangri-La and Sofitel are too pricey, thank you, though!

We also have one quick overnight on the outbound getting in from Dumagette at ~6:40 pm and then leaving on our flight at 6:30 am the next morning. I am thinking that the Heritage would be a good overnight for that, as you suggested. I also saw a place called The Traders Hotel that looked very good, too. Anyone know about Traders?

Also, I am wondering if anyone has stayed at the Manila Airport Hotel for our quick overnight. If it is not good, I do not want to use it as our last impression of the Philippines.

Thanks for your continued help!!!

<snip>

Also, I am wondering if anyone has stayed at the Manila Airport Hotel for our quick overnight. If it is not good, I do not want to use it as our last impression of the Philippines.

I stayed at the Manila Airport Hotel upon arriving and departing from Manila earlier this year. It's extremely convenient for both airports. The hotel wasn't anything special, but it fit my budget and was well maintained. Amenities in a basic room included bar fridge with beverages and snacks and cable TV. Also a token for breakfast in the morning. What I found most amusing was the sign on the door for the restaurant that read something along the lines of "No firearms allowed."

I just returned from the Philippines allow at least 2 hours before your departure. You will be checked and rechecked and then checked again. If you think the US airports are bad you haven't seen anything.

I stayed at Traders last month also for a night. No complains.

Thanks for the extra referral, Jigo. Now I am trying to decide if we should stay in the "Manila" area by Intramuros for our 2 overnights OR in the Makati City area? The Holiday Inn Galleria Hotel in the Ortigas area looks nice, too. I am getting the impression that this area of Makati City/Ortigas is more of the business area....lots of big buildings and concrete? Is this true? Would it be better to stay in the Intramuros area closer to the water front at the Waterfront Pavillion? Both are comparable prices at Asia Rooms - Australia hotels,Singapore hotels,Thailand hotels and Japan hotels with instant confirmation - check hotel availability book your hotel room. There were a few comments that the Pavillion lobby is beautiful, but the rooms are getting old. The Shangri-La and Sofitel are too pricey, thank you, though!

We also have one quick overnight on the outbound getting in from Dumagette at ~6:40 pm and then leaving on our flight at 6:30 am the next morning. I am thinking that the Heritage would be a good overnight for that, as you suggested. I also saw a place called The Traders Hotel that looked very good, too. Anyone know about Traders?

makati and ortigas areas are business districts. good to stay there if you want to shop in the malls, eat in fine restaurants and posh bars. stay in manila if you want to visit intramuros and manila bay. the lobby of manila pavilion has just been renovated. same with some of the rooms. be sure to ask for a newly renovated room. i havent stayed in traders but i think its being operated by shangri-la so it must be good. as for the airport hotel, not my idea of a last impression...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom