Bottle Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butch103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone have any good ideas on how to clean some of the crud off of bottles found underwater?

My wife is at me to do something with my "collection", and I keep putting her off, but alas I can do this no longer.

Help!!!...I need to know what to use to remove the solid bottom crust which has "grown" on these bottles. All are found in fresh water BTW.:confused: :confused:

You might want to try TSP (trisodium phosphate). You can find it in the painting section of most home centers. Mix it in warm to hot water and soak a few times to get the major gunk off. Then a soak in vinegar to clean the stubborn deposits off. This has worked for me with "most" bottles. Although some won't come clean no matter what you use.....

I see you live in Canada as well. Try going to Canadian Tire and buy a bottle of CLR (Calcium Lime Rust remover). The crude will most likely be one of or a combination of these elements. Let it soak overnight in a "glass" bowl, somewhere where it won't get knocked over. CLR will eat through most flooring in high concentrations. (oops personal experience talking here, oh well needed a new floor anyways)

I use TSP, available in powdered form at wal mart

that and a gentle "scrubbie pad" for cleaning pots and pans works pretty good so far!

... to me they look so much more interesting with some growth on them. Without it they could just as well be bottles I found anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom