Dive Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Ok, I have a problem and I hope you guys can help me.

I am president of the dive club at the University I attend. This club always has a lot of people attend our meetings, we have one at the beginning of every quarter, but then nobody shows up for dives. We would have club dives going out every weekend at least, but nobody goes on them so more often than not there are no dives at all. When I talk to people they always seem enthusiastic about it and ready to go diving, but when the time comes around to go there are at most 2 people who show up, if I'm lucky.

Is there anything I can do to get people to go diving more? I know there are lots of people in the club, I have the member list, but how do I get them to go diving?

the problem is getting people to go diving with us. There are lots of people who dive with the classes and there are lots of times when dives are planned but nobody ever goes to them. Thanks for the suggestion Arnaud, I'll look into it :D

My initial reaction is that they're not really divers. I know I wouldn't miss a dive unless I have a major situation. Maybe, you need to have meetings once a week instead of every quarter, focus at each meeting on planning the next diving day, follow up with emails, have a website and get them motivated. Maybe, you need sexyer divers. I'm not sure. It's really easy to get me in the water...

Make an announcement that You will NOT be attending the next dive and see if more people attend. If so....you found your problem:peek:

You give them to much time to make other plans. Plan dives in the near short term so people don't forget.

Ok..I will go back under my rock and shut up. Sorry but I just could not help myself. I think it was Flip Wilson that said "The devil made me do it." Either that or I am just a post whore.

Dectek once bubbled...
Ok..I will go back under my rock and shut up. Sorry but I just could not help myself. I think it was Flip Wilson that said "The devil made me do it." Either that or I am just a post whore.

probably a little of both

I've been both the VP and the Program Director of two different dive clubs in two different states and both had the same problem you're talking about. Our meetings were always standing room only but on the dive weekends maybe 3 or 4 people would show up, that included me and the Pres. I tried everything to get people to come out and dive. We only had a lake to dive in around the area we lived so I preached the benifits of diving just to keep your skills sharp so when you go on that summer dive vacation you won't struggle with things like bouyance. That didn't help. Then I tried offering speciality classes for club members at cost. Things like Peak Proformance Bouyance, Navigation, even Nitrox, still only a hand full showed up. When I moved to Florida I told everyone in both clubs that if they wanted to put together a trip to Ft. Lauderdale I would be more then happy to help set everything up. I had lived here once before and still knew people at the LDS that would give me a good price on the hotel and dive package but not a single person in either club ever contacted me about coming down. I finally came to the conclusion that a lot of people like to talk about diving but not many actually like to do it.

After belonging to those two clubs for several years and seeing just how hard it is to get people to actually show up and get wet I quit joining dive clubs and just dive with friends.

Good Luck,

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom