Nitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandfill

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at taking a nitrox course, and have the option of PADI, TDI, or SSI available through various shops. Anyone have comments on which is best. ( Most information for the time and money invested.)

Sandfill once bubbled...
I'm looking at taking a nitrox course, and have the option of PADI, TDI, or SSI available through various shops. Anyone have comments on which is best. ( Most information for the time and money invested.)

Im certified through SSI but think they are all about the same. I think they all teach you the same basic principles of using EANX.

it so depends on the instructor. I require more than most... and some think that it is excessive. The course I took was way too light on everything. But I don't think it was the certifying agency that was at fault.

Well, first of all, i think you should pick your course because of the instructor, not the certification agency.

ALL that being said, I am only familiar with the SSI nitrox course. I do know that with SSI, you wont be doing any dives, just classroom. PADI, you will do 2 dives.

Also, the TDI nitrox course has been referred to by others as "NITROX FOR MORONS"... I however, have never called it that...

Try to ask people in your area who they have taken it from, and what their experiences were like. Try to get someone from a local dive club to recommend an Instructor.

Good Luck.

NAUI requires two dives, but, Instructors, feel FREE to require MORE. Mine did, and I thank him for that.

-Dennis

I did mine last Novemeber, through PADI.

Have to say that my Instructor was great ! Really drove me hard through the theory side of things, (way over what was required by PADI IMO) and with the benefit of hindsight I now appreciate why. Get this wrong and it's going to hurt !

The two dives were good experience of planning, analysing etc.

As has been said by the others , IMHO it comes down to the Instructor.

Thanks Stuart.

Cheers
Hoppy

Sandfill,
Everyone's suggestions are worthwhile. The instructor is paramount and doing the dives beyond class are critical. Doing the dives are important because it reinforces your class work and shows the instructor that your skills are to a level that you shouldn't exceed your MOD.
Good Luck and Enjoy,
Larry

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
I do know that with SSI, you wont be doing any dives,
Au contraire, mon ami... While SSI allows the instructor the leeway to certify without the dives, many (all that I know, including me) SSI Nitrox instructors require at least two Nitrox dives before issuing the card.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom