Tech Diving Instructor Recommendations - Mediterranean & Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jake31bsa

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am hoping to begin my certifications in Tech Diving around the Mediterranean and Red Sea area. Are there any well-known instructors/dive shops that I should look into?

I'd like to work my way up to either the TDI Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures/Extended Range or PADI Tec 40/45/50. Should I target one certification organization over the other? I would assume that the certification agency matters less than the actual course instructor.

After visiting Dahab last year, diving with Scubaseekers and meeting Sameh Sokar, I would easily recommend them for any diving or training. Very professional operation, super friendly staff, and great divers. I have to note that I didn't actually take any classes with Sameh, but the guides I dove with were very good divers and they all spoke highly of him as a diver and instructor. He's a GUE instructor as well as a TDI training director, so I would not hesitate to do a class with him, and I would expect that he brings the same level of commitment to excellence whatever agency he teaches for.

Looking at your location, Colorado, can't help wondering if you'd be better off with a more local instructor to build a relationship with. Even if it were Florida, they'd still be more accessible than the Med/Red Sea.

Tech diving isn't like Open Water training, it's a much more long-term relationship with many levels of training and a lot of practice to master the skills. When you start your tech training, you should be comfortable in the water and have decent core skills (buoyancy, trim, finning).

One widely accepted recommendation is to train where you normally dive: if that's cold water, then you must do your training in cold water because it's much harder with thick suits and gloves. In comparison, everything in warm water is easy.

Looking at your location, Colorado, can't help wondering if you'd be better off with a more local instructor to build a relationship with. Even if it were Florida, they'd still be more accessible than the Med/Red Sea.

Tech diving isn't like Open Water training, it's a much more long-term relationship with many levels of training and a lot of practice to master the skills. When you start your tech training, you should be comfortable in the water and have decent core skills (buoyancy, trim, finning).

One widely accepted recommendation is to train where you normally dive: if that's cold water, then you must do your training in cold water because it's much harder with thick suits and gloves. In comparison, everything in warm water is easy.
That absolutely makes sense - I appreciate your advice!!

I am hoping to begin my certifications in Tech Diving around the Mediterranean and Red Sea area. Are there any well-known instructors/dive shops that I should look into?

I'd like to work my way up to either the TDI Advanced Nitrox/Decompression Procedures/Extended Range or PADI Tec 40/45/50. Should I target one certification organization over the other? I would assume that the certification agency matters less than the actual course instructor.
These videos might fill in some blanks for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom